Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac Losing Bluetooth and then becomes slow, and fails to shut down without holding the button. Happens 3 times a day randomly.

Hey guys,
Hope you are having a good day!
My IMac 3.1Ghz Intel Core I5, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 memory running OSX 10.9.2 is having serious issues.
About 3 times per day sporadically it loses connectivity to the bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and is irrecoverable (I have tried everything, and it is not trying to connect to another device - e.g. IPAD).
When this happens, I am usually using an audio program (e.g. Logic Pro X, or Ableton Live), and when sound is playing, the event stops the sound altogether as well.
If I then hold the power button, the message asking if I want to shutdown or restart comes up, and the system appears responsive. However, there is no way for me to select anything because of the keyboard and mouse being down.
However, I jumped the gun and got a free IPAD app. that gives me limited control with a keyboard and mouse on there, enough that I am able to select to shut the computer down.
When this happens, the computer takes 5-10 minutes to force quit all active applications (e.g. logic pro, active audio interface program RME totalmix, etc.). When it finally, finally quits everything, and attempts to shutdown, it takes a very long time and gets stuck on a white screen. When it gets there the computer stops making noise altogether but has not properly shutdown yet, so it appears some sort of system failure is taking place.
It is really frustrating that this is happening, and I really hope my computer isn't broken. I would really appreciate any help or advice provided.
Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 2:47 AM

3 replies

Mar 23, 2014 8:25 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for your response there mate.

As above, it is not just Bluetooth that is going, but audio as well, and the computer fails to shutdown via normal procedures (all applications become unresponsive).

The computer fails to shutdown unless the button is held down.

As this is happening 3+ times a day (I.e. Every 2-3 hours of use), and I use it for my primary day to day work, the solution provided in the Bluetooth link (shutdown and restart, wait 2-3 hrs. until it happens again) is not sustainable, hence why I have posted.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Mar 23, 2014 12:02 PM in response to pbower1989

When you have the problem, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above. Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first. Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough. It is never necessary or helpful to post more than about 100 lines. "The more, the better" is not the rule here.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

IMac Losing Bluetooth and then becomes slow, and fails to shut down without holding the button. Happens 3 times a day randomly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.