Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

find 9999 vs 9,999 (thousands separator)

It's frustrating, if not downright crazy, to need to search for numbers in Numbres with and without formatting.

Is there someway to turn off this seaching based on formating?

thanks

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 2:21 AM

25 replies

Mar 23, 2014 11:49 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Let me say it another way. I think preforming a find for 9999 should find both 9999 and 9,999.

I just thought to google for "wildcards in Apple Numbers" you know like an asterix, and found serveral articles on how Numbers will only do a Find on text, meaning even when looking for numbers (figures) like 9,999 the Find function looks at it like characters not numbers or a figure. So numbers is weak here.

I either have to be carful to format all tables with the thousand separartor (or without it) and remember to preform finds with the comma. Geeze that's lame.

Mar 23, 2014 11:49 AM in response to zamzmith

Numbers does have several functions that accept wild cards:

Function, Accepts Numeric Comparison, Accepts Wild Cards...

AVERAGEIF

Yes

Yes

AVERAGEIFS

Yes

Yes

COUNTIF

Yes

Yes

COUNTIFS

Yes

Yes

HLOOKUP

No

If exact match specified

MATCH

No

If exact match specified

SEARCH

No

Yes

SUMIF

Yes

Yes

SUMIFS

Yes

Yes

VLOOKUP

No

If exact match specified

Beyond that, you can always choose another app.

Jerry

Mar 23, 2014 12:49 PM in response to zamzmith

Hi zamzmith,

Let me say it another way. I think preforming a find for 9999 should find both 9999 and 9,999.

If I understand correctly what you are trying to do, this is really easy to do with Numbers 3. Just use functionality built into every Mac.

Paste this into AppleScript Editor, click any cell in the table you want to search, and run:

-- Find a number in the selected table, regardless of formatting

set findValue to display dialog "Find first occurrence of this value " default answer "" buttons {"OK"} default button "OK"

set findValue to (text returned of result) as number

tell application "Numbers" to tell front document to tell active sheet to tell (first table whose class of selection range is range)

repeat with i from 1 to count cells

tell cell i

try

set aValue to its value as number

on error

set aValue to "" as number

end try

set anAddress to its name

end tell

if findValue = aValue then

set the selection range to range anAddress

return

end if

end repeat

end tell

-- end script

You can turn this into an Automator Service and assign a keyboard shortcut if you need to do this kind of search a lot.

SG

Mar 23, 2014 2:29 PM in response to zamzmith

I think if you entered:

"9999" that is different than "9,999"

I did find a behavior I was not expecting...

I typed "9999" then formatted the cell to show the thousands separator. This is the same thing as having typed "9,999".

The find dialog finds one match

User uploaded file

The find dialog locates two matches:User uploaded file

You can post feedback to Apple regarding using the menu item "Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback"

If there is a larger context perhaps explaining that would help.

Mar 23, 2014 6:14 PM in response to zamzmith

Zam,

I think it would be nice if Numbers searched on the value "9999" the same as "9,999" (Libre Office does, I checked). However I also like that I can search literally on what I type. I think you should select the column where you are entering and reviewing numeric values and force the format as you need it so that is consistent.

Select the column, then use the cell formatter to set the format:

Inconsistent formatting:

User uploaded file

After selecting a format for the column:

User uploaded file

You can argue I am "band-aiding" a problem (the search) but I argue I am using good practice.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

Mar 23, 2014 6:29 PM in response to zamzmith

I think zamzmith is right. One should be able to search for a numeric value without worrying about formatting, just can be done in Excel and (I believe) many other spreadsheets.

But that point is pretty much moot, I think, because unless and until Apple gets around to enhancing Find (it would also be nice to be able to search within a selected range) one *can* do whatever is needed very easily, with a simple script attached to a keyboard shortcut. Takes just a minute or two to set up.

SG

Mar 24, 2014 3:37 AM in response to SGIII

Hello SG,

Unfortunately the problem is not necessarily that simple. It is common to have a cell formatted only to show certain decimal places where real value is different, in which case script needs to absorb the difference in comparison. In addition to it, "Find Next" feature is essential in real world searching.

* Find Next is relatively easy to implement but the rounding in formatting issue is very hard to handle and yet it must be handled correctly in order to avoid false negative results.

Regards,

H

Mar 24, 2014 10:37 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Hello Jerry,

It would be so if Numbers.app provided decent AppleScript interface to get and set thousand separator setting for any given range just as Excel for Mac does or AppleWorks does. But Numbers does not and the only way to script the setting in Numbers would be to use GUI scripting which is messy and unreliable if possible.

Since Numbers is a spreadsheet programme, I think it should really implement decent numeric search method regardless of number format. Even ClarisWorks / AppleWorks can do.

Regards,

H

find 9999 vs 9,999 (thousands separator)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.