Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittent wifi since 6.1 update

Hi,

Since the update my Apple TV drops intermittently and then says it can't connect - this is to both netflix and any apply content. So I can't connect to Netflix and any of the movies/tv shows I purchased. I went to apple on Wednesday and they told me that it seems as though the wifi has gone in the box (!!) - it's a third gen by the way. I have a second gen which is gone and runs 6.1 without problems. So I purchased another from them for £49 as it's no longer in warranty. When I installed it it was on basic factory settings so I left it. It's worked beautifully and I've run it constantly for 2 days to ensure it's ok. I've watched netflix and purchased movies etc. I updated it this morning and now the wifi keeps dropping again! It's not the wifi (second gen works fine), it's not one of the faulty third gen (checked serial number). Anyone else experiencing problems? Feel a but fed up that my last box probably isn't faulty and I've paid £49 for this box that has same issues with the update.

Thanks.

Apple TV, iOS 6.1

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 4:30 AM

12 replies

Apr 11, 2014 2:23 AM in response to Angeldoost

I went to apple store again a couple of weeks ago and they couldn't even get it to connect. They do another restore and said try that. To be honest they didn't know what was wrong and said all they could do was log it and see if others logged it with them eventually so that they could issue it as a problem on a wider scale. My Apple TV still does it and I can not restore it back to before the update (this isn't possible once the update has been loaded even after a factory restore). My second gen still works like a dream after the update. If an only imagine it is something to do with the components in the apple box itself not liking the update. My wifi is not the problem as my now tv box works fab and so does the second gen Apple TV.

I'm very frustrated and have stopped using netflix in the main because it's highly frustrating to get 30 mins into a 45 min episode when it crashes!!

Please apple can you sort this out?!

Apr 11, 2014 8:54 AM in response to Angeldoost

Brand new Apple TV purchased from Amazon a couple days ago. Worked perfectly watching Netflix for several hours.

Then I updated to 6.1 and it won't stay connected to my WiFi... I have to restart Netflix, reboot the device, and/or check network settings every 20 or 30 minutes. The WiFi connection seems to connect/disconnect as it pleases yet the signal strength is always 4/5 bars.

Since the unit is less than 3-days-old, I'm not going to waste my time and gasoline driving to an Apple Store. I'll be calling Amazon today to have it replaced.

I'm hoping it's just another batch of bad units like last year, otherwise, I think we'd see thousands more people storming this forum.

According to this MacWorld article, certain units will be replaced for up to two years for network issues.

Apr 11, 2014 9:27 AM in response to sparky67

Mine isn't one of the faulty batches as I checked this a while ago. My original third generation apple to actually crashed in September (or October - can't remember which month) after the upset in that month and it was 10/11 months old. Apple told me that the update had caused some units to crash beyond all repair! Anyway got a replacement for this free of charge. Now this Apple TV went funny too (after the recent update) but hasn't crashed . So I got this one changed too but this time it cost me £49. Anyway, the replacement of the replacement does the same thing after installation of 6.1 so I ended up getting my £49 back but apple sent me in my way with no fix in place or explanation.

I'm not sure it's really the box itself (as in a faulty batch) as all 3 seem to have been incompatible with an update. All the third gens seem to be rubbish!

Apr 11, 2014 10:34 AM in response to Angeldoost

Apple had me do a full reset and advised that if the problem continues, to do a full restore. If that still doesn't fix it, they agreed that a replacement unit would be next. They said they could send me a new one after I send in mine... OR since it's so new, just let Amazon replace it.

Angeldoost wrote:

I'm not sure it's really the box itself (as in a faulty batch) as all 3 seem to have been incompatible with an update. All the third gens seem to be rubbish!

I'm very disappointed and frustrated by this issue too, however, I find it really hard to believe that all third gen. units have this issue. We'd surely see a huge amount of activity in this this forum and in the Amazon reviews as the ATV would be totally broken for its main purpose- network streaming. Plus, there would be tech blog headlines all over the place such as, "ALL 3rd Gen Apple TV units incompatible with 6.1" and such. Perhaps, the 6.1 update must be combined with a yet unknown set of internal/external conditions before the problem manifests.

I still don't doubt the validity of your experience as I've had similar issues with other equipment.

I'll keep this thread posted if my problem clears or continues.

Apr 14, 2014 8:32 PM in response to Angeldoost

After another call to Apple and another reset, the problem got less frequent for a while and then it suddenly happened four times in 20 minutes.

So I finally did a full restore via USB cable in iTunes.

Last night it worked flawlessly for the first time since updating to 6.1. If it goes a few more days without incident, I'll declare it as finally fixed. If not, it's going back to Amazon.

Intermittent wifi since 6.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.