Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my MacBook Pro wont detect my hard drive

Hello everybody i have a massive issue on my macbook pro. if anybody can help me solve this problem i will be VERY great full.

Before i ask you the question here is a list of my macbook's specs:

Model: MacBookPro 13inch Early 2011

CPU: 2.3GHz Dual Core i5

RAM: 10GB of DDR3 @ 1333MHz

HDD: 320GB SATA (my macbook cant detect it when it turns on, this is the hard drive that came with the mac when i bought it)

Graphics: 512MB Intel HD Graphics 3000 inbuilt

Now that you know my specs here is the issue (NOTE: i have had this mac since i bought it in 2011 and it has been working fine untill today when this issue happened.)

My mac was running slowly, so i decided to put my mac onto safe mode. After it went on to safee mode i clicked disk utility and it opened up as usuall. Then i selected my only hard drive and clicked on 'verify' so it verified and then warned me that the HDD needed to be 'repaired' using disk utility. So i clicked on 'ok' and i then clicked on the 'repair' button on disk utility. so it ran for a bit then is froze in the middle of the 'fixing' process. so i clicked 'stop' so i could be able to try this process again, but instead of stopping it froze. so i then turned off my mac so i can restart the computer because it froze on safe mode. So after it turned on it showed the usuall white screen with no logo in it. then i say a picture of a file with a question mark in the middle of it. so i guessed my mac couldnt detect my hard drive. Thats how i came here to these forums so someone can help me solve this issue. By the way i am currently using my friend's mac in order to access these forums.

so please can you help me solve this problem, thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 5:18 AM

The HDD is damaged or the SATA connection is faulty. Backup your data if you can.

If you have an external boot drive, connect it to your MBP as a test. Boot the MBP and if successful, install it in the MBP if it boots it again, the original HDD is faulty. If not, the SATA cable is suspect.

If you have no boot drive, the best option is an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a free evaluation.

Ciao.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2014 5:18 AM in response to war1940

The HDD is damaged or the SATA connection is faulty. Backup your data if you can.

If you have an external boot drive, connect it to your MBP as a test. Boot the MBP and if successful, install it in the MBP if it boots it again, the original HDD is faulty. If not, the SATA cable is suspect.

If you have no boot drive, the best option is an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a free evaluation.

Ciao.

Mar 23, 2014 5:26 AM in response to war1940

No. Your problem is, I'm almost certain, with the drive itself. Sluggish performance can be a sign that a hard drive is on its last legs and that's what it sounds like to me.

If you're into DIY projects, you can replace the hard drive yourself. You may not be able to salvage any data from it, though. I hope that you had backup schemes in place?

Clinton

my MacBook Pro wont detect my hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.