Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading the logic board possible? A1370 late 2010

Hi,

I spilled water on my Macbook Air (late 2010, 1.6 GHz Core2Duo, 4GB Ram) model A1370. I guess the logic board it's gone forever.

I would like to know if I can replace the logic board with the mid 2011 model as it looks totally the same and it's still an A1370 model but with a 1.6GHz Core i5 instead of the Core2Duo I had. (and can be found for cheaper!)

Any suggestion will be appreciated, Thank you.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 5:40 AM

8 replies

Nov 22, 2016 10:00 AM in response to lorenzoprimi

Yes It is possible, I have successfully done it.

You are going to face 3 problems though:

1) will need to buy a new battery (battery connector in a different place)

2) will need a new heatsink

and the hard part:

3) bluetooth and wifi antenna cables won't fit

(1) and (2) are easy to solve but (3) is giving me some headache. still looking for an answer.

by the way, I did the upgrade with a mid 2011 core i7 board.

Nov 23, 2016 2:38 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

The board does fit the machine body perfectly. It powers on and works. It's all compatible provided you can connect everything in the right place. Problem is newer board moved some connectors/sockets so you end up with shorter cables.

1) you can buy a mid 2011 battery

2) you can buy a mid 2011 heatsink (usually comes with logic board)

3) you can buy a mid 2011 display

My point is, it fits but it's not plug & play. You can easily work around all 3 issues by buying new parts. It just seems a waste to me to buy a whole new display because the airport antenna is 2 inches short so I am trying to find another solution.

Nov 23, 2016 2:57 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

The board does fit the machine body perfectly. It powers on and works. It's all compatible provided you can connect everything in the right place. Problem is newer board has a slightly different design and some connectors/sockets were moved around so you end up with shorter cables.

1) you can buy a mid 2011 battery

2) you can buy a mid 2011 heatsink (usually comes with logic board)

3) you can buy a mid 2011 display

And you should be good to go. My point is, it fits but it's not plug & play.

Nov 23, 2016 3:42 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

By "successful" I meant been able to swap boards, connect everything, power it on and see everything working. But you're right, It's a work in progress yes. Like I said before, I could just buy a mid 2011 display and we could call it all done.

But it feels too much to buy a display just because the antenna wires are 2 inches short.

Again, replacing boards is not plug & play but it is doable.

Upgrading the logic board possible? A1370 late 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.