Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1. The error message "the disk cannot be used as start up disk" doesnt help => WHY cant the disk be used

1. . The error message "the disk cannot be used as start up disk" doesnt help => WHY cant the disk be used

2. the support article http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3926?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US suggests reducing the size of the partition (WHY whould that help?)

3. resizing doesnt work (error message: try reducing the amount of change in the size of the partition) => didnt find any solution on that one either...

(trying to upgrade 10.6.8 to Mavaricks)

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 6:27 AM

2 replies

Mar 23, 2014 12:55 PM in response to iPirat

A Startup disk must be use a GUID partition table format, then the partition that you want to boot from must be HFS+ file system format.

Changing the partition from anything else to GUID will remove any existing partitions and file systems on the disk.

Changing the partition table is done via Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility, select the disk, select erase tab, click on Options and you should be able to select the partition table style.

Mar 23, 2014 2:13 PM in response to BobHarris

Hi Bob, I suppose your comment is related to my first "why". Just double-checked: my disk has GUID partition table, and the partition is hfs+. So that's not he problem..

While rereading my original post, I thought that Maybe, I wasn't clear enough:

step 0 was at the bottom of my original post and a little sparse...

0. I'm trying to upgrade 10.6.8 to mavericks (AppStore -> upgrade to Mavericks)

When selecting the drive I get the message in 1. of my original post, which then leads me to 2. and 3.

1. The error message "the disk cannot be used as start up disk" doesnt help => WHY cant the disk be used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.