Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn off shuffle for iTunes 11.1.5

Since iTunes upgraded, to 11.1.5, the I can't turn off shuffle. But, it only shuffles through some of my songs and artists so I hear them A LOT and other artists I don't hear at all. It's VERY annoying. The settings show that shuffle is off, but it still shuffles (still among a limited list). This appears to be a bug.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2017 6:39 PM

I also can not seem to get my Ipod Touch to play songs in order they are listed in my playlist. I have updated the software, but frankly I am ready to throw this thing in the trash and go back to my 8 year old nano.

13 replies

Mar 23, 2014 2:09 PM in response to Bike and Swim

It shuffles songs when playing in iTunes on the computer, or shuffles when playing songs on the iPod? I ask because you are posting in a forum category about using an iPod.

If it's in iTunes, the "toggle" to switch between shuffling and playing in order is on the iTunes window. Look toward the top, in the box that shows the currently playing song. The song has a progress bar. At the right end of that bar, there is a symbot that looks like two crossing arrows. Click it to toggle between shuffling and playing in order. When it is highlighted blue, it is shuffling.

If the question is about playing the iPod, please post back with the iPod model?

Mar 25, 2014 7:20 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks Ken. (Obviously I'm new here since I apparently couldn't figure out the nav, on the other hand, I thought Apple was supposed to be intuitive)

I appreciate your response and will repost my question in another spot. Your response is correct and if the software was working properly should have fixed it. But, I do know how the settings are accessed, and the settings are set correctly, it's just that the shuffle feature doesn't turn off.

Mar 25, 2014 3:53 PM in response to Bike and Swim

By Plays... That's interesting. I don't think I've listened to songs in that order before. Good idea. I just tried it on my Mac (latest version of Mavericks and iTunes), and it seems to work as expected, for the play order.

There is a recent new feature called Up Next. It is a song list that you can see by clicking on a symbol that looks like three lines with a dot to the left of each line; it is at the right side of the box that shows the song's info at the top of the iTunes window. It's a song list that you can add to, like a temp playlist, with songs you want to hear "next" in order (by dragging songs to the Up Next symbol). If you are just playing from a list, like your library list or playlist, the Up Next list should just show songs on the song list in order.

Does it show the expected song list order, or the oddly shuffled order? If it's the oddly shuffled list, click the button to Clear the list (at the top of the list). Then, restart playing from your song list by double clicking on a song. Does that make any difference for this problem?

May 13, 2016 6:25 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I have the same issues with windows 10. I have many audio books and radio plays that need to be played in the correct order and I don't want the shuffle function on. Sorry if I am also posting in the wrong place but I could get no joy from apple themselves and I am getting pushed from pillar to post. Please help if you can - the frustration is getting the better of me. Many thanks

May 14, 2016 2:41 AM in response to HiTunes

That's probably not the "same" problem... In the future, you can create a new topic for your specific question (instead of posting at the end of an old topic). That way, it's more visible to other users who may have a useful reply. You can also provide information that is specific to your situation. And you can mark replies are being helpful or solving your problem, because you own the topic.

All iPods can be set to play items on the list in list order (as shown in iTunes) or in random order (shuffled). How you do this depends on the iPod model (which you do not mention). If your iPod has a click-wheel interface, the setting is on the iPod's onboard Settings screen; set Shuffle to OFF to play the current list in list order (not shuffled). If your iPod is an iPod nano with a touch-screen interface, the setting for Shuffle is on the Now Playing screen; tap the Shuttle button to change setting (the button looks like two arrows crossing). If it's an iPod shuffle (which has no screen), there is a physical switch on the shuffle that sets playback to shuffle or play in list order; you also need to select a particular playlist using the VoiceOver feature.

Oct 10, 2016 3:52 PM in response to Bike and Swim

I also have this issue and it's driving me nuts. I simply can't play any album in order. It always is on shuffle. I went into Controls/Shuffle/ and turned it to off. I'm in ALBUM mode (for example, I type in Steely Dan, all my SD albums come up, then hit an album and every time it finishes a song it goes to a random Steely Dan song - on a different album.) HELP!

User uploaded file).

Nov 6, 2016 2:33 PM in response to Colaborer

You're posting in an old topic... If you're using the current version of iTunes, check the Up Next list. Along top of iTunes window, to the right of the Now Playing box, find the button with three dots and three lines. Click it to drop down the Up Next list. Click the Clear button. When there are no songs on the Up Next list, try playing songs from your song list.

Also, there was apparently a bug related to not playing songs in order that affected some users, fixed in a recent iTunes update (according to update description). The latest version is 12.5.3, so update iTunes if you have not already.

Can't turn off shuffle for iTunes 11.1.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.