Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Archives

Is it possible to delete my final cut pro x archived files from my mac without deleting all of the files I've taken from the archives and stored them in event files inside pro x?

Final Cut Pro X, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 8:27 AM

3 replies

Mar 23, 2014 9:15 AM in response to Russ H

Talking about Camera Archives, clips are from a cannon studio camera that uploads with tapes and theres almost 900gbs worth of clips so my mac is filling up to the brim. but i am only using maybe 1/10th of the footage from each tape. So if i put that 1/10th woth of footage onto an event in final cut can i then delete the camera archive and have the other 9/10ths of footage be deleted saving my computer space while keeping the rest in final cut to work with? fcp version is 10.0.8.

Mar 23, 2014 10:02 AM in response to XinRingo

All depends on whether you copied all media files to your events. I don't believe any version of FCPX ever let the user import from Camera Archives without copying those media to the event, but it's conceivable you might have some media in addition to those that is linked to the event. Worth double-checking.

If you archive your projects by using the Duplicate Projects command and choose Used Clips, it will create a new event and a dup project. Select the new event and from the File menu choose Organize Files. That will ensure that your new event ("Clips for…") contains actual media and not links to external media. After that you should be able to trash whatever you want in the way of external media – including those camera archives. Open the archived projects from within the app to double-check before trashing anything.

This documentexplains the process in more detail.

FWIW, the price of storage has declined so much over that I typically hang on to my camera archives – feeling that they make great backups of the original media cards. But if you have all the bases covered, yes…you can delete them.

Russ

FCPX Archives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.