Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s No Longer connects to Car Bluetooth after iOS 7.1 Update

My iPhone 4s has been paired to our 2006 Acura TL hands free link (Bluetooth) and working flawlessly for more than a year. After the iOS 7.1 update installed on my iPhone the connection has been lost and the car's Bluetooth does not recognize, and will not pair with my iPhone anymore! I noticed there were two back-to-back updates for iOS7. The first one caused intermittent interruptions and lost connections with the iPhone. The second update completely destroyed the connection between the car bluetooth and the iPhone. Any ideas on how to correct this problem would certainly be appreciated. Thanks!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1, See comments above!

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 9:21 AM

2 replies

Mar 25, 2014 7:27 AM in response to algee1

Hello algee1,

Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing with pairing your iPhone with your Acura.

In my experience, when updates are released for iOS devices, compatible devices release an update to maintain compatibility. Step 2 from the article below recommends checking with the manufacturer of your car stereo to see if there is a firmware update available for your car stereo:

2. Update software and firmware if necessary

Verify that both your car stereo and your device have the latest software versions. Contact the manufacturer to see if any updates are available. If your device does not have the latest version of the iOS, update to the latest software version.

I recommend reviewing the full article here for additional troubleshooting steps:

iOS: Troubleshooting car stereo connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3581

I also recommend these steps if the issue persists after following all the steps in the previous article:

Unable to find nearby Bluetooth accessories

1. If a pairing record already exists, the device does not appear as discoverable. Try to connect the device using that pairing record.
  2. If you are unable to connect using the existing pairing record, delete the record and pair again.
  3. Ensure that the firmware or software on the Bluetooth accessory is up to date.
  4. Ensure that the Bluetooth accessory is charged or connected to power.
  5. Verify that the Bluetooth accessory is using a profile that works with the iOS device.
  6. Turn off both the iOS device and the Bluetooth accessory, then turn both devices on again.
  7. If the issue persists, test Bluetooth with another device or consult the manufacturer's documentation.

You can find the full article here:

iOS: Third-party Bluetooth headsets, headphones, and keyboards

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1664

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Mar 30, 2014 10:32 AM in response to sheila_m.

Sheila,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply and the time you spent composing the response. The information provided gave some good resources to find a possible fix for re-establishing connection between my iPhone 4s (Version iOS 7.1) and my Acura Car Bluetooth.

The sources revealed that Apple has released several iOS updates for this phone over it's very short time on the market while "maintaining backwards compatibility to Acura's firmware". Apple does not appear to provide any warning of non campatibility issues with Users devices before iOS upgrades are issued, and does not offer a patch to re-establish compatibility with Acura's Car Bluetooth. Acura does not appear to offer firmware updates for their Customers. So much for the Customer......

Have a Great Day!

iPhone 4s No Longer connects to Car Bluetooth after iOS 7.1 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.