Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unmuting and rotating simultaneously

I have a game on the iPad that requires me to rotate the screen, but if I allow that, then the game becomes muted. Very annoying! is there anyway to not mute the game while allowing rotation simultaneously?

iPad, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 9:44 AM

4 replies

Mar 23, 2014 12:37 PM in response to Kerri38

The Settings > General > Use Side Switch To setting is to set what the switch on the side of your iPad (above the volume control) is controlling - the function that the switch on the side isn't controlling is set via Control Centre instead (swipe up from the bottom edge of the iPad's screen to open Control Centre and it's the right-most of the central 5 icons).

So if you have the side switch set to 'rotation lock' then make sure that switch on the side of your iPad is 'off', and in Control Centre the right-most of the central 5 icons should be grey for notification mute 'off' - if the icons is white then tap it. And similarly if you have the side switch controlling 'mute' then the switch on the side needs to be 'off', and the right-most icon in Control Centre (which will be for rotation lock) needs to be grey for 'off'

Mar 23, 2014 2:29 PM in response to FALcatkin

Why do you think that you can only have one of them ?

There are two functions, notification mute and rotation lock. And there are two places of controlling them, the small switch above the volume control on the right-hand side of the iPad, and Control Centre (swipe/drag up from the bottom edge of the iPad's screen). Which of those two places is controlling which function is set by Settings > General > Use Side Switch To i.e. if you have that set to 'notification mute' then the on/off switch on the side of the iPad is controlling mute, and the icon in Control Center will lock/unlock rotation (grey icon means unlocked, which icon locked) ; if you have the switch set to control 'rotation lock' then the on/off switch on the side is controlling rotation, and you will have an icon in Control Centre to mute/unmute notifications.

So if you want to hear sounds and not have rotation lock then it doesn't matter what you have Settings > General > Use Side Switch To set to, as you want both mute and rotation lock 'off' - so you need the switch on the side of the iPad 'off', and the icon in Control Centre grey

Unmuting and rotating simultaneously

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.