Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AMD Radeon HD 5800 and Thunderbolt?

My AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series video card has what look like thunderbold ports on it. My question is, can I use these ports to connect a thunderbolt Hard Drive to my computer?

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 9:50 AM

no, those are mini displayports (same form factor), you cannot use a thunderbolt device in a mini displayport, but it DOES work the other way, i.e. a mini displayport device will work in the thunderbolt port

there is currently no way to add thunderbolt to machines, like the old silver tower mac pro, that did not originally come with thunderbolt

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2014 9:50 AM in response to Damballa

no, those are mini displayports (same form factor), you cannot use a thunderbolt device in a mini displayport, but it DOES work the other way, i.e. a mini displayport device will work in the thunderbolt port

there is currently no way to add thunderbolt to machines, like the old silver tower mac pro, that did not originally come with thunderbolt

AMD Radeon HD 5800 and Thunderbolt?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.