Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Run a program on Macbook from a sd card

Hi, I have a doubt, I have a Macbook air and I wanted to know if it's possible to run application from a SD card, I mean, cut the program from the aplication folder, for example Aperture and paste it into a sd card. Would it be able to run normal?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 10:33 AM

5 replies

Aug 23, 2016 12:26 PM in response to aqme93

Hi everyone. I tried and it works!

I'm using MacBook Pro (Retina, 13', 2014 Mid) and my sdcard is Sandisk Ultra 8gb

I tried for below applications:

• Spotify
  • Feedly
  • Filezilla
  • Ionic Lab

For example Spotify:

I installed it on my macbook's ssd first.

I moved it into sd card later.

As I said, it works but note that it still creates cache files etc. into the Macbook's SSD.

Aug 25, 2016 10:26 AM in response to aqme93

While many programs will run from a drive other than the computer’s boot drive or from a folder other than Applications there is a good reason not try and it all revolves around program updates. Programs purchased from the Apple Store are installed in the Applications folder and that’s where the App Store application looks when it checks for available upgrades. Many programs that are available from sites other than the App Store use Apple’s installer/updater program which is brain dead. If you download an updater file and run it the program assumes the app is in the Application folder and acts accordingly.

Further, whether you have the program installed on another drive, it will place preferences and other resources, including cache files, on the boot drive. In some cases these files collectively are larger than the application itself.

Run a program on Macbook from a sd card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.