Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay not working on ipad 3 since iOS 7.1 update

I keep having issues with airplay since the 7.1 update. Apple TV is updated, and all iPhones, iPods, and iPads are updated to 7.1. Every device is having issues with airplay since the 7.1 update. Issues such as lagging, airplay randomly stopping, and the airplay option not even showing up from the drag up screen despite being connected to wifi.

iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 10:16 AM

9 replies

Mar 25, 2014 4:35 PM in response to diesel vdub

I'm getting exactly the same symptoms. Network issues, perhaps. Recycling the router seemed to help ... for a little while. In fact, I recycled the entire system, soup to nuts. Router, Apple TV, iPad, other clients. I brought the whole bunch down, and brought them back up one at a time, making sure I had address resolution in each device before bringing up the next. This exact system worked like a champ a little while ago. No hardware has changed. The only thing that's changed has been the change in iOS. With AirPlay now, video only lasts a minute or so, and audio may last anywhere from a minute to fifteen minutes, but it's dropped the connection half a dozen times in the last hour.

This is not fun.

Mar 25, 2014 10:29 PM in response to JohnDepth

Yup, the Apple TV has "Update Automatically" set to "On". And it was one of the devices that I cycled, so I would hope that it's up-to-date.

A further bit of information FWIW: I have a network extender and had swapped over to the extension network. I was able to watch a whole movie I had stored on the iPad, and thought the issue was solved, largely being an issue of signal strength. I tried another one, though, and got dropped like a hot rock in less than a minute. The one that played nicely was an MP4, and the one that got dropped was an AVI. I tried another MP4 movie, and it played for several minutes before I stopped it. Perhaps ththis has something to do with MP4s being based on QuickTime. I haven't tried the audio again since swapping to the extension network. I was just happy to watch a movie for more than a minute. However, only being able to watch an MP4 would be ... bad.

Mar 26, 2014 2:47 PM in response to JohnDepth

I wouldn't mind the AVI / MP4 discrepancy ... if mirroring was working. That appears to be when the AirPlay gets dropped. I also checked some apps that appear to support AirPlay directly, such as ABC's and CW's streaming apps for their television shows. Those didn't require mirroring, and they seemed stable. I tried playing Angry Birds for a while using mirroring, and got dumped after a minute or two.

So people can claim "network issues," but the evidence I'm seeing doesn't support that.

Airplay not working on ipad 3 since iOS 7.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.