Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This version of AirPort Utility doesn’t support this base station

when i try to connet to my airport express with airport utility appear this message "This version of AirPort Utility doesn’t support this base station"

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2017 3:58 AM

I was able to configure the device using an MS Laptop (Windows 10, 64 bits).

http://www.withsteps.com/3824/this-version-of-airport-utility-doesnt-support-thi s-base-station-solved.html

After you were able to configure it ... it works great with new versions of macOS or iOS.

13 replies

Mar 23, 2014 10:50 AM in response to chdeveer

You may have an older version of the AirPort Express, which is no longer supported by AirPort Utility in the Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks operating systems.

Please look on the side of the AirPort Express to locate the model number in the faint print. Reading glasses or a magnifying glass might be needed here.

If you see A1084 or A1088, unfortunately, these older versions of the Express are no longer supported by the newer operating systems.

If you have another Mac there.....or can borrow one......using Leopard or Snow Leopard, or a PC, you should be able to adminster the older Express with that device.

Mar 23, 2014 10:58 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Oh the irony... I need to use a Windows machine to configure an Apple Airport Express....

I use quite a few of these older boxes for distributing audio around the house for AirPlay.

They do the job very nicely indeed, the only problem is that the Apple OS no longer supports configuration from current Apple hardware.

I am pretty certain there is a Green Message in this somewhere, Ah inbuilt, forced redunancy of perfectly performing equipment.

Hardly sustainable is it?

Disappointed in Apple :-(

The only reason I noticed this problem was because I moved the AE from the Lounge to the spare bedroom and wanted to re-name the AirPlay....

I'll dig out an old, otherwise redundant laptop.

Feb 14, 2016 12:47 PM in response to Bob Timmons

That is ridiculous. I love my apple products, but it seems that Apple goes out of their way to ensure that we have to replace perfectly good apple products just because we have had them for a few years. This is frustrating as **** sometimes.

Does anyone know of a third party software that can help us? I really need to change my wifi password and I do not have any access to a mac with older software? If there is no other solution, I am just going to replace this airport with a non-apple brand wifi router, as I am getting sick of this kind of crap.

Dec 16, 2016 7:03 AM in response to Busta999

Not sure if Bob will get this, but I have a follow up question. Bob,I have an ancient power mac laptop which is still working. It's in another location though. I also was just given an older/original AirPort Express which is too old to be set up using my current laptop. I want to use it play music around the house, but during set up I get, "This version of AirPort Express doesn’t support this base station."

Question: If I bring over my old laptop and manage to configure this older AirPort Express, will I be able to use my current laptop and iPhone software (to send iTunes music through it to my portable, self-powered speakers)?

Dec 16, 2016 7:24 AM in response to tomthumb7

If I bring over my old laptop and manage to configure this older AirPort Express, will I be able to use my current laptop and iPhone software (to send iTunes music through it to my portable, self-powered speakers)?

That would depend on whether the "ancient" laptop is using modern WiFi security. IF.....the laptop can connect to your existing network using wireless.....the network that you want the Express to connect to.....then it can probably be used to set up the old AirPort Express.

If it can, then the Express will connect to your wireless network. Worth a try....and it will only take a few minutes to find out.

Dec 16, 2016 7:41 AM in response to tomthumb7

If the AirPort Express can be set up to work with your existing wireless, then any device on the wireless will be able to communicate to the Express.

But, remember that the old Express was designed to work with AirTunes, and Apple switched over to AirPlay some years ago, so some of the features of AirPlay are not going to be available with the Express.

You'll just have to try it out to see how well things will work.

This version of AirPort Utility doesn’t support this base station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.