Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How would I export a list of songs on an iPod to a text file?

I found one of my old iPod shuffles that's synced to an old PC that is long gone... I'm looking for a way to export what's currently on the iPod Shuffle as a text file or something so I can remember that "phase" in my life in the form of a playlist. I used to be able to do this in iTunes 10, but not quite sure how in 11+. Does anyone know how to do this?

iPod shuffle, Windows 8

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 1:24 PM

If you are able to connect the shuffle to iTunes and show its list of songs, it may be best to take a screen shot of iTunes window at max size. Scroll the list and take additional screen shots as needed.

NOTE: There is a command in the menu bar to

File -> Library -> Export Playlist...

Give this command with the shuffle's Music list selected in the sidebar. However, this command is meant to create a text file that is later imported into iTunes, so it is not formatted to be nicely readable to human eyes.

iTunes 11.x may hide the sidebar (along left side of window). To show the sidebar, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. To show the list of songs on the shuffle...

• If the shuffle is 3rd or 4th gen, find the shuffle in the sidebar, under DEVICES. Click the small triangle to the left of the shuffle's name, to drop down its content list (indented below the shuffle). Click on Music there.

• If the shuffle is 1st or 2nd gen, the shuffle itself is one playlist. Select it in the sidebar, under DEVICES, so that its Settings screen is shown to the right. Toward the top, where is says "Settings," click on On This iPod (to the right).

You can actually off-load the song files from the shuffle. You cannot use iTunes to do this (except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store), but there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer song files from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links. (The CNET article seems to be popular.)

Once the song files are on the computer's drive, I suggest you create a new playlist in iTunes, and name it appropriately (like "Old iPod Songs"). Show the song files in an Windows Explorer window, and drag them to that playlist in the iTunes window. iTunes will add the songs to the (general) iTunes library, but that playlist will only show the songs that were on the shuffle. And you can actually play the songs for a shot of "nostalgia" (not just look at their names).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2014 1:24 PM in response to ChaoSeraph

If you are able to connect the shuffle to iTunes and show its list of songs, it may be best to take a screen shot of iTunes window at max size. Scroll the list and take additional screen shots as needed.

NOTE: There is a command in the menu bar to

File -> Library -> Export Playlist...

Give this command with the shuffle's Music list selected in the sidebar. However, this command is meant to create a text file that is later imported into iTunes, so it is not formatted to be nicely readable to human eyes.

iTunes 11.x may hide the sidebar (along left side of window). To show the sidebar, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. To show the list of songs on the shuffle...

• If the shuffle is 3rd or 4th gen, find the shuffle in the sidebar, under DEVICES. Click the small triangle to the left of the shuffle's name, to drop down its content list (indented below the shuffle). Click on Music there.

• If the shuffle is 1st or 2nd gen, the shuffle itself is one playlist. Select it in the sidebar, under DEVICES, so that its Settings screen is shown to the right. Toward the top, where is says "Settings," click on On This iPod (to the right).

You can actually off-load the song files from the shuffle. You cannot use iTunes to do this (except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store), but there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer song files from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links. (The CNET article seems to be popular.)

Once the song files are on the computer's drive, I suggest you create a new playlist in iTunes, and name it appropriately (like "Old iPod Songs"). Show the song files in an Windows Explorer window, and drag them to that playlist in the iTunes window. iTunes will add the songs to the (general) iTunes library, but that playlist will only show the songs that were on the shuffle. And you can actually play the songs for a shot of "nostalgia" (not just look at their names).

How would I export a list of songs on an iPod to a text file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.