Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

urgent help needed :(

I recently bought a new 1080 HD TV and tried to change the resolution settings on my computer to accomodate this as i also use it as my monitor (the screen on my laptop is broken). I went into system preferences, displays, clicked 'Detect displays' and now my laptop thinks theres 2 screen and i cant change it back. The only way i can consolidate the screens into one is by checking the 'Mirror Displays' box, but this then changes to a very low resolution. Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 11:16 AM

5 replies

Mar 24, 2014 3:52 AM in response to Jor-El Starborn

Try NVRAM reset:

• Shut down your Mac.
  • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.
  • Release the keys.

Mar 26, 2014 1:14 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

Ah, okay thanks. I tried this but it didn't solve the problem 😟

I went into the Displays, then Arrabngements and i clicked 'Mirror Displays' which has given me my screen back, but in really low res, i think 1280x800 which isnt great when im hooked up to a fully HD TV! It might be time to back up my Mac and try a full system re-boot, unless you can think of something else! If not, don't worry and thanks anyway for helping 🙂

Mar 26, 2014 2:02 PM in response to Jor-El Starborn

First of all, your Mac will always think there are two displays, because there are. The fact that one cannot show anything does not change that.

The first thing you want to try is to get the Mac to ignore the built in screen. After you boot up, close the lid of the laptop. That usually tells the Mac you want only the external monitor, and the TV will become the only display.

That should switch the main display to the TV. You will need a mouse to do the rest since your keyboard and trackpad are now not available.

Go to Apple menu / System Preferences / Displays. On the TV click Scaled. You will see the resolutions that can be displayed on that screen. Select a set of numbers above whatever is selected now and try it. You can keep switching the resolution until you find what you like.

If that works, and you want to keep using your laptop this way, get a keyboard and a mouse and keep the laptop closed.

urgent help needed :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.