Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini, Mavericks, and the MiniDisplay-to-VGA Resolution Solution

So is there a fix yet?

Setup: Mac Mini circa 2008 updated to Mavericks connected to a Sony KDL-52XBR7.

My native resolution of 1360x768 is no longer a choice since the Mavericks upgrade. Thus movies play in the incorrect height x width ratio! I ripped 500 plus movies from DVDs ( I own each movie so no copyright nannies need speak up) and now the kids even turn it off due to the messed up ratio.

So Apple, you broke it, now fix it!!

SwitchResX is not the answer unless someone knows the exact settings to use with a Sony KDL-52XBR7 tv via VGA! My first attempt with SwitchResX left me with an Unsupported Display ! My work around was simply to connect to a DVI monitor and reboot and uninstall SwitchResX. :). There are many picky settings to try. So I gave up before I really messed it up.

I'll have to verify but I think the iTunes purchased movies are also not displayed correctly. ( screen squished horizontally).

Thanks

Mike

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 27

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 1:41 PM

3 replies

Mar 23, 2014 3:19 PM in response to BDAqua

I'm in the learning curve on SwitchResX. I got a headache from my first run. I need to find a decent how too page on using it. LOL. Many settings I need to first understand.

What brought me to this point was a non boot on my mini yesterday. I ended up restoring my last backup from time machine. Apple does backup VERY WELL. this gave me the SIDE EFFECT of a fresh install I.e. Complete defrag. LOL. So the mini runs MUCH faster now. So I figured I would tackle the resolution thing.

Yes Mac s EVENTUALLY need a defrag. The Apple method is what I did or a Clone to second drive, wipe and clone back.

Anyway I will find a solution short of buying the newest Mac mini which I bet CAN put out 1360x768!

Mini, Mavericks, and the MiniDisplay-to-VGA Resolution Solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.