Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro CPU overheats

I have a constantly overheating MacBook Pro issue.

As far as my diagnosis found out, its only the CPU overheating not the GPU. I'm aware that there are two fans in my Mac and its only the CPU side gets hand burning hot. The GPU side, is just warm, however I play a pretty GPU intense game.

Games I tried:

XCOM Enemy Within - via BootCamp, Windows 8.1 Pro, everything legally installed and GPU driver was updated with the latest Catalyst.

World of Warcraft Cataclysm - Right in OSX 10.9.2.

Both games run fine on maxed out graphics.

First, XCOM runs fine for like 20-30 minutes, then slowly gets very laggy. I assure it is a CPU lag, because graphical overheat gets the whole game simultaneously laggy, but CPU overheating stops the game for a few milliseconds whereas a lot of computing would go on.(eg. fights, enemy contact)

Secondly, World of Warcraft is running fine even for hours, with decreased Viewing Distance (this option affects mostly the GPU's DRAM by loading a lot more objects and landscape). After a few hours, or with heavy contact(eg. lot of players in the same place, massive damage by someone) makes it laggy. However when having the Viewing Distance pulled to the maximum, the game starts to get very laggy after an hour.

I would agree, if someone would say that Windows are not supported, but gaming on the up-to-date unmodified operation system(OSX) should work flawless.

Applications with overheating issues:

Final Cut X - Up to date version, once I put all my cuts, effects and everything together (I stopped having background render as I don’t really need this but appreciate the performance gain), I start to render it, which could lead to several hours of rendering, but suddenly after half an hour the whole system becomes very laggy and unstable, like when you run the system in safe mode (command+S on startup). This, again seems to be a CPU overheating issue.

Reasons:

CPU downscaling occurs, where the CPU gets nearly to the heat level where it shuts down to save itself from damage. CPU downscaling starts, throttling the frequency of the CPU down to ~1GHz, so it saves from shutting down. Which makes the system very slow and laggy.

In the other hand, using Photoshop CC for several hours with no problems occurring, can reflect to the GPU has no issues. (OpenGL usage set to the maximum in Photoshop CC's settings)

How I use the laptop?

It is a late 2011 MacBook Pro 17', with a dedicated AMD 6770M 1GB GPU. The processor itself is a Intel Core i7 2670QM, 4 cores + HyperThreading.

Both Windows and OSX shows up 8 cores, so it works properly, however in Windows I could not see Windows 8's integrated CPU frequency scaling working (when you do not use your system, it automatically scales down the frequency, sometimes even to 700MHz to save power and NOT due to overheating).

The laptop sits on a flat, wooden desk, NOT in clamshell mode, the screen opened widely. In OSX, I used a Terminal trick by an Apple Genius guy, to turn the integrated display off while it is not in clamshell mode to save computing power and display usage.

The Mac itself is a CTO machine, came with 8GB RAM and an Anti-Glare Display and it is plugged in to a brand new LG 27EA63 27' IPS monitor via Thunderbolt to HDMI cable, having set the default resolution to 1920x1080.

The machine was cleaned around a month ago, just by blowing the dust out of the fans.

It’s been also upgraded with a ODD dismissal, replaced with the HDD and using a brand new Samsung 840 SSD in the main bay. All done by an Apple Certified.

Before a few months, I was even able to play Far Cry 3 under Windows with almost maximised settings.

My diagnostics would be it is definitely a CPU overheating issue, where the thermal adhesive dried out by the years so it needs to be reapplied.

Let me know what do you think guys and what should I expect from Apple, when I will visit the Genius Bar next Tuesday.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 3:59 PM

Try resetting your SMC.

Resetting the SMC of an Intel-based portable Mac with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: This will not delete any data.

The SMC is responsible for controlling various system functions. None of your data will be deleted by resetting the SMC.

Shut down the computer by going to Apple () > Shut Down…

Select Shut Down or allow the computer to shut down automatically.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter into a power source and then connect it to your Mac if you have not already done so.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift (⇧), Control (⌃), and Option (⌥) keys and the Power Button at the same time.

Release the (left side) Shift (⇧), Control (⌃), and Option (⌥) keys and the Power Button at the same time.

I hope I helped.

Austin

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2014 3:59 PM in response to mazsi1911

Try resetting your SMC.

Resetting the SMC of an Intel-based portable Mac with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: This will not delete any data.

The SMC is responsible for controlling various system functions. None of your data will be deleted by resetting the SMC.

Shut down the computer by going to Apple () > Shut Down…

Select Shut Down or allow the computer to shut down automatically.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter into a power source and then connect it to your Mac if you have not already done so.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift (⇧), Control (⌃), and Option (⌥) keys and the Power Button at the same time.

Release the (left side) Shift (⇧), Control (⌃), and Option (⌥) keys and the Power Button at the same time.

I hope I helped.

Austin

Mar 24, 2014 5:30 AM in response to mazsi1911

Sorry to say but no Mac notebook is designed to run game apps for any length of time without the system getting incredibly hot. They just don't have the proper cooling for running them hard the way games tax the hardware. Your question is asked several times a week if not more. The only thing you can try is to use some type of cooling pad to TRY and keep the heat down.

Or buy a computer that is better suited for playing games on.

Mar 24, 2014 6:05 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Well, the CPU gets up to 86 celsius or sometimes even reaching 90. I know its not too hot for damage, but it clocks my CPU down.

Lowluster, I cannot agree. I bought the "PRO" version, for PRO usage. If I wanted to run safari all day, I would have bought the Air, also it USED to handle even stronger games with no problems. Its just happening since a few weeks.

I've done the SMC reset, now I'm on the way to test some games and see it it helped. Also, just for a note, since the SMC reset, I started my Mac, and it stuck after some Thunderbolt check at verbose boot. I had to hard reset, where it booted normally. Windows DID boot on the first time with no problems.

Mar 24, 2014 7:23 AM in response to mazsi1911

mazsi1911 wrote:

Well, the CPU gets up to 86 celsius or sometimes even reaching 90. I know its not too hot for damage, but it clocks my CPU down.

I agree that the temperatures for the types of applications you are running are producing temperatures well within acceptable bounds.

Apple Intel processors do have a shutdown provision for excessive temperatures. OSX has provisions to throttle the CPU if the battery is not connected. But I am not aware of any other throttling of the CPU prior to reaching the maximum designed operating parameters.

Rising temperature will create more resistance and have a negative affect on CPU performance, but temperature is taken into account in the design of the CPU. Thus a properly performing CPU should be able to attain and maintain designed speeds prior to thermal shutdown. If you are finding that the CPU in your MBP is failing to do that, it suggests that your CPU may be faulty.

Ciao.

Mar 24, 2014 7:48 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Yes this is exactly what I wrote about. Two things can clock down the CPU, one is heat and one is the battery. That right, well I have the battery normally connected and the battery if not really used since I bought it, 53 cycles now.

No, I think that the CPU does everything correctly, but not the fans. Also, I had a thermal shutdown only once, which I diagnosed after and solved the problem.

I think, only the adhesive cream should be replaced, as the CPU cannot put down the heat and the fans are running at 6500 RPM.

I'll grab my machine tomorrow, and take it into a store and ask for something. I really do not see if Apple would charge me for replacing the cream, or anything, as we are in the EU where warranty should last 2 years, and this is just happening after a year and a half since purchase.

Mar 24, 2014 4:35 PM in response to mazsi1911

If you keep an eye on the battery charge indicator, both on the AC changer end that connect to the system and in the menu bar, you might notice when you are Taxing the system the battery charge percentage goes down and the light on the AC adapter turns to green, if it was charging the battery, or when you stop taxing the system the light turns amber signifying the battery is being charged. That is because the AC adapter can't supply enough power to do both run all the heavily taxed hardware in the system and either charge the battery or keep it charged. When taxing the system it will draw power from both the AC adapter and the battery at the same time.

You can reject my observation that Mac notebooks aren't meant or designed for gaming but that doesn't change the fact they aren't.

mazsi1911 wrote:

Yes this is exactly what I wrote about. Two things can clock down the CPU, one is heat and one is the battery. That right, well I have the battery normally connected and the battery if not really used since I bought it, 53 cycles now.

ase.

Dec 14, 2016 8:53 AM in response to mazsi1911

I own an early 2011 13' MacBook Pro which worked flawlessly until the new macOS arrived. I tried everything stated about the SMC, even took it for some internal clean-up but the problem persisted, perhaps not to the level some other users indicate (hot case or unexpected shut-downs) however it was constant to listen to the fan going all the way up, sometimes with very common processes such as booting-up or even surfing the web (I won't mention when the laptop was used for some heavy tasks).

I even considered to have it re-checked as perhaps there may be a physical damage anywhere (it's an old machine after all) or to roll-it back to El Capitan, however I decided to give macOS another shot and after updating it yesterday, seems all problems are now gone, read somewhere in google a couple of months ago that macOS was giving a sort of hard time because of this to some users (however never heard it from an official source) and therefore was doubtful, however at least so far, my laptop is working great, even better than a newer desktop PC I also own.

My configuration is as follows:

MacBook Pro 13' early 2011

2.3 GHz Intel Core I5

8GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 3000 (512 MB)

MacBook Pro CPU overheats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.