Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i select multiple emails on iPad to delete? (Gmail)

I have hundreds of emails to delete from my Gmail account linked to both my iPhone and iPad. Multiple select works on my iPhone, but i can't seem to select all emails on the iPad. I think since they're linked together, the iPhone emails keep coming back. I'm on ios 7.1 on both.

iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 5:37 PM

The mail program works the same on both devices, in the Mailbox, Edit and check all of those to delete, then tap Delete, then Mailboxes > Gmail account > Trash > Edit and Delete All and confirm Delete All.

11 replies

Mar 23, 2014 5:50 PM in response to Need Help...

Do a reboot by holding both the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears, ignore the red slider if that appears, then see if the iPad works right. A few days ago, Verizon notified they were changing the email server names and ports and SSL settings...had to change my MacBook Pro, iMac, iPhone and iPad...absolute nightmare. Only way to get the iPhone and iPad to work right was a reboot. Then they did what they were supposed to do.

Mar 23, 2014 6:12 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

Thanks, Ralph. tried rebooting both the iPhone and iPad. Each having their own "issue". when i delete all emails from iPhone to trash they go away for a couple minutes, then re-appear (and i've deleted all from my Gmail account). So they must still be in the iPhone. The iPad just won't let me do the mulitple select at all.

Too much time invested tonight, so likely need to take them in to Genius bar to figure it out. thanks a lot for trying!

Mar 23, 2014 8:58 PM in response to Need Help...

thing 1:

go into Settings > Mail > your gmail account > Advanced > Move Discarded Messages into and check Deleted Mailbox instead of Archive Mailbox

thing 2:

the Select All feature for deleting all your mail in a mailbox magically disappeared a little while ago. There is a workaround (a kluge really), but it means you really do have to delete ALL the messages in the mailbox:

go to the mailbox you want to delete all the mail from

select any one message

press and hold the move button, and while you are still holding it, deselect the email you selected

wait a few seconds

it will select ALL the emails with an option to move, and you can move them to the trash

Unlike the Select All method that used to be possible, you willn ot get a list of selected emails with the option to deselect some of them. So if there were a few you wanted to keep, you will have to go to the trash box, find them and rescue them.

How do i select multiple emails on iPad to delete? (Gmail)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.