Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting "Save Keep" pop-ups.. help!

Hello,

So, for starters, I would like to put out there the fact that I am not all-knowing in the world of computer terminology and whatnot, so pardon my ignorance, per se? Alright, so I believe due to my downloading the application "Paint Brush" (A product of softonic... I've heard bad things recently about them...whoops?), I have been getting weird ad things popping up all over the place, a lot of them associated with "Save Keep"... I mean, it's gotten so bad that literally, I was watching a tv show on Hulu the other day and halfway through my program, my computer magically redirected itself to some ad website.. I lost my place and everything. This is infuriating!!

So my question is, (1) is this a virus/threat to my system, (2) if it is a virus type thing, is it the type that reads my emails and steals my passwords and internet identity?!?!?!? and (3) does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 5:24 PM

1 reply

Mar 23, 2014 6:04 PM in response to Geena1813

If you got it from Softonic :

You may have installed genieo (installmac) adware, which does redirect searches in that way.

See Adware Removal Guide : Genieo

or

Genieo :The product is a fraud, and the developer knowingly distributes an uninstaller that doesn't work.

to find out which files to check for. If this just started, and you have a recent backup, then you may be able to restore from that to eliminate it.

Softonic's adware installer may also add other Safari extensions, which you should remove.

I keep getting "Save Keep" pop-ups.. help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.