Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to back up external HD connected to a time capsule via time machine

Here is my plan, maybe someone can tell me if there is a better way.

1. iTunes media files are on my external HD, connected to my time capsule

2. iTunes library files are located locally on my iMac

3.. Every month or so I can unplug my external HD from the T.C, plug into my iMac and run the time machine back up.

4. After I have successfully backed up i unplug from iMac and plug back into T.C and proceed to use my library as always.

Maybe I'd be better off leaving my external HD hooked up to the iMac and just keep the T.C out of the equation all together.

What would also be nice is if I could have 2 libraries.. One that points to my media files when they're hooked up to the T.C and one that points to them when hooked up to the iMac.

Any thoughts?

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 7:19 PM

3 replies

Mar 23, 2014 7:47 PM in response to dh204046

Not really sure what you are doing.

You don't need to plug the Time Capsule into yoru computer. You can use it over wifi. The Time Capsule was made to be the Time Machine backup drive (though it doesn't need to be).

Plug your external into the Time Capsule or your computer.

Leave everything plugged in/connected, use Time Machine to backup the external and your iMac to your Time Capsule.

Mar 24, 2014 3:59 AM in response to Chris CA

When I pluged my ex HD into my TC, the drive never showed up in the time machine preferences in the "items to exclude" box. So I was assuming it wasn't being backed up. When I plugged it into my imac it was in the items to exclude box, so I just removed it. Are you saying I should set my new ext. HD up to be the Time Machine backup drive?

Chris CA wrote:

Leave everything plugged in/connected, use Time Machine to backup the external and your iMac to your Time Capsule.

Can you please tell me how to do this?

How to back up external HD connected to a time capsule via time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.