Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to (re)install Mountain Lion fresh on a new ssd

Hi, I've been running Mountain Lion on my 2010 Mac Pro 3.2ghz but it's got incredibly slow with only 120 GB on a 1 TB HDD.. I've used every utility to try to clean my old drive and speed things up (DiskWarrior, defragmentation, etc) without much help I don't want to carry over all the stuff to a new SSD. I'd like to start clean with an entirely new OS install of Mountain Lion on a Samsung 512GB SSD. I've got all the software and once it's upgraded I'll figure out which files to carry forward or keep all the data files on another drive with links. I'll figure that out eventually.

Mty present system was built starting with Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion. I purchased licenes for each of the OSes and still have all the software. I may even have Lion on a bootable thumb drive. Do I have to start with Leopard and then move to Snow Leopard before moving to Mountain Lion?

I did try just reinstalling a new OS by booting Mountain Lion and using Time Machine. Still slow...like 75 seconds to boot and spinning wheels.. I haven't tried moving the files and then reinstalling Mountain Lion with a clone then to the SSD. I'd like to start with a new system install direct to the SSD.

Any ideas. Again, I do have all the licenses and could start with Leopard but that seems tedious.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Mac Pro Nehalem 3.2 Quad + 3 others

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 9:19 PM

13 replies

Mar 24, 2014 7:21 AM in response to curtispsf

curtispsf wrote:

I'd like to start with a new system install direct to the SSD.

If you still have your OS X Mountain Lion Recovery HD, you can restart with the Command+R or holding down the Option/Alt key and select the Recovery HD. Then from the OS X Utilities menu you can erase you Macintosh HD then Reinstall OS X Mountain Lion. You would point to your SSD when you install.

You might just want to install ML, use Setup Assistant to bring over JUST your user account(s). Then, run Software Update and finally you can check out performance before you add your Apple and 3rd party apps.

Mar 24, 2014 10:59 AM in response to curtispsf

Since it sounds like you've already done an installation(s) on your SSD, I'd suggest installing TRIM Enabler before you continue with the installation process if you're running the ML installer from your current boot drive. That way, the file deletion process will be more like what Apple does on its own SSD's. Then, when you're booting from your Samsung, install TRIM Enabler on it to get the same benefits of TRIM support.

Mar 24, 2014 11:16 AM in response to keg55

Perhaps I wasn't clear...I have ALL the operating systems available to me from Leopard on up, including Lion which is no longer available as a download from APPLE. I'm not asking the mechanics of HOW to simply install Mountain Lion. I know how to install ANY OS anywhere.

What I AM asking is how to end up with Mountain Lion on my MAC PRO with as few individual operating system " upgrades" as possible since some (all?) of the upgrades do not appear to be standalone installs.

Is there an option to get to Mountain Lion that does not require the installation of Leopard AND THEN an UPGRADE to SNOW LEOPARD and then an upgrade to Mountain Lion?

The best example I can think of us was back to OS X 10.4 Tiger. You could install Tiger with no prior system, just as you could install Leopard with no prior system, in other words these were not system "upgrades" requiring that they be built on a previous system. They were standalone new system installs.

Mar 24, 2014 11:24 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Thanks, I AM already running with Trim Enabler (which just about every SSD should be using, except those with Sandforce Controllers). Since I'm moving (deleting) the data files off the drive, would it be best to wipe the drive clean and start all over OR delete the data files and then reinstall Mountain Lion on top of the old install?

I'd like the cleanest install of Mountain Lion possible but I'd have to weigh the cost of all the steps to get to Mountain Lion as a fresh install (Leopard to Snow Leopard to Mt. Lion). Is it possible to get to Mt Lion without all the prior systems? Another question would be the best way to do an install keeping in mind that this is an SSD, and not a hdd.

Mar 24, 2014 11:26 AM in response to curtispsf

Is there an option to get to Mountain Lion that does not require the installation of Leopard AND THEN an UPGRADE to SNOW LEOPARD and then an upgrade to Mountain Lion?

I believe this is essentially the same question that I answered previously.

I bought Mountain Lion when it first came out. When I log in to the App store today, and click Purchases, Mountain Lion is listed with a Download button on the right. I have never needed to try it, but I have assumed that meant that I could downloand ML again, if I wished.

So the answer to your question yes you can install ML without going through the previous OS, so long as it is available to you in the App Store.

Mar 24, 2014 11:29 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

FatMac\>MacPro wrote:

You don't need to upgrade anything, as I believe you suspect. A straight install of ML will get you there. I did the same thing on a Crucial M500 last week and it's working like a charm. And that was on a 2010 Mac Pro.

If you haven't installed your Samsung in a Mac Pro bay yet, I'd recommend this which fits perfectly.

Are you saying I can do a standalone install of Mountain Lion by itself with NO previous system? I just checked Apple/s minimum requirements for Mountain Lion =

"Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory
  • 8 GB or more of available space"

This suggests that Mountain Lion is NOT a standalone install, but an upgrade

Mar 24, 2014 11:41 AM in response to curtispsf

Since there is no longer delivery of OS updates on DVD's you need to get it from the App Store and only 10.6.8 or Lion had access to it. That's what they mean.

If you already have ML installed, you could boot to the Recovery Disk and reinstall ML on your SSD. If not, Eustace Mendis is right that you should be able to download ML again and run the installer.

In either case, and with any upgrade, TRIM should be checked to be sure it's still enabled. Last night I ran an update to Mavericks on a different (non-SSD) partition and got warned that TRIM needed to be turned on again, which was easy enough.

Mar 24, 2014 11:58 AM in response to curtispsf

FatMac & Eustace,

THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH... I now understand that "access" to Mountain Lion through the app store made Lion a prerequisite. I had NO idea that both Lion and Mountain Lion could be installed as "standalones" without requiring previous systems. I downloaded both Images and still have Lion and Mt. Lion somewhere ( I made a copy of both images). Tried to split the points w/ 2 helpfuls but I apparently used one b4, so all that wasleft after one "helpful" was this "solved my problem" but the BOTH of you solved it.

I have labored under the false impression all this time that a build to Mt. Lion required each of the previous systems. I have learned something new and that's always a good thing. 😎

Best way to (re)install Mountain Lion fresh on a new ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.