Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to create a Recovery Drive?

I have a Macbook Pro 2009 running OS X 10.8 (mountain lion), i bought it a few weeks ago second hand and need to restore it as i haven't got the Admin password and can not contact the person i bought it off. I have tried to do it in single user mode but no luck thus far. when i start up the computuer and press Command + R there is only 1 hardrive called "untitled 1" and no recovery HD. is there a way i can add this recovery HD?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Need to reset the Admin password

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 11:19 PM

5 replies

Mar 23, 2014 11:33 PM in response to d.yaxley

You may need to have the original OS install disks because you will need to wipe the drive (which you should be able to get from Apple); the seller was supposed to wipe it and reinstall the original OS version - since he apparently did not, you will need to try to find out what the original OS was on it. Please post your model identifyer so we can figure it out. If the machine came with Lion or later, you can try internet recovery - press Command + Option + R; if that works, it will reinstall the original OS. However, if it came with Snow Leopard or earlier, you will need the disks.

Mar 24, 2014 3:28 AM in response to d.yaxley

You will need a set of Original System Discs for that specific model and model year Macbook Pro. If you don't have them you can order a Replacement Set from Apple at a small fee.

Don't be fooled You Need Those Original Reinstall System Discs. The system should not of been sold to you with any other version of OS X installed on it other than the one that originally came on it when it was new.

Mar 24, 2014 5:18 AM in response to d.yaxley

If you have a 5.4 MBP, it either came with Leopard (10.5.7) or Snow Leopard (10.6) as the original OSX. Call Apple customer service and give them the serial number of your MBP so that the correct OSX disks will be sent. There is a fee for the replacement disks.

Neither of these OSX's can be download, you will need the physical disks.

Ciao.

how to create a Recovery Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.