Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac 21.5 HDD Replacement "cpu fan loud"

Hi Everyone,

I have a 21.5" Mid 2010 imac. it had a faulty HDD which i have removed and installed a new drive however now the CPU fan is spinning flat out!!

i know its from not having the HDD Temp sensor connected but im not sure what pins on the new seagate HDD would work or if they would give the logic board the correct signal?.

i have tried HDD-Fan Control and smc fan control but cannot get to return to normal speed. i have tried the automation script too but cant sort it.

im running OSX 10.9 and the rest of the imac is stock.

Thanks for any input. the SMC control alows me to slow the HDD and ODD fans but not the CPU

Regards

Anthony

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 2:40 AM

2 replies

Mar 24, 2014 8:03 AM in response to Anthony_mad

Try the software HDD Fan Control. I'm not sure ! But I think I have read that iMacs 2009 and after, that apple controls the fans with some sort of firmware which is not installed on 3rd party hard drives, so when you install a new hard drive the fans run at full speed. The software should solve that problem, as it gets very good write ups.

King regards

Norman

Imac 21.5 HDD Replacement "cpu fan loud"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.