Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 9 is slow to respond and lagging

This is new problem. I dont have a midi keyboard attached just my apogee one. When i play something or look at my mixer its slow to respond or lagging. I havent done anything. Can i fix this? Maybe through settings?

Logic Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 2:01 AM

6 replies

Mar 24, 2014 3:05 AM in response to MeGe99

I really don't know why people keep thinking that reinstalling will help - it won't.

OK, then you'll have to be more precise and list your equipment (which Mac, which OS, which Logic version, how much RAM, how many disks, how much free space on your startup disk etc).

How are you buffers set in Logic Pro>Preferences>Audio>Devices>Coreaudio?

Also you say "when I play something" - what do you mean? You play an instrument and record the audio? Or you use the qwerty keys for MIDI? Or something else?

Also, you say "slow to respond", but could you be more precise? Does the meter respond within, say, 1/32 note? Or does it take a second (that's a lot) or more?

Do you have the latest compatible drivers for the One (if those are needed) installed?

Mar 24, 2014 3:20 AM in response to Eriksimon

I have the 2012 macbook pro bought in summer, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 Gt 1600 MHz DDR3. 250 GB memory. Latest Mavericks. Logic pro 9 the latest. Free space 6 gb. when i press play to listen something and mix the meters are responding slow (i would say that 1/32 note) or i record and i cant do it when the drums are playing because its slow to respond and i have to repair it afterwards manually . I have MIDI keyboard but i dont use it. I use qwerty keys for midi.

I have i/o Buffer Size 1024 and i have Apogee one. Recording Delay 0 Samples. Universal Track Mode Check. Software Monitoring Check. 24-bit Recording. Processing Threads: Automatic. Process Buffer Range: Large. ReWire Behavior: Playback Mode. Maximum Scrub Speed: Normal. Scrub Response: normal

Mar 24, 2014 3:30 AM in response to MeGe99

MeGe99 wrote:

I have the 2012 macbook pro bought in summer, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 Gt 1600 MHz DDR3. 250 GB memory. Latest Mavericks. Logic pro 9 the latest. Free space 6 gb.

DINGDING alarmbells, you have way too little free space on your system disk, it needs to be 20 % of the disks capacity minimum, so you'll need to free up at least another 44 GB from it.

And BTW, that 250 GB is your disk, NOT your memory, or RAM. I guess that "16 Gt" is your RAM, although the unit for RAM is not Gt but GB, just like disks. So, you have 16 GB RAM and a 250 GB disk, and you need to loose at least 44 GB of data from that disk. The best way to free up space is to move files to an external (USB, thunderbolt) disk, large (folder of) files such as photo's, movies and Logic projects - those can take loadz of spaze.

Mar 24, 2014 3:40 AM in response to MeGe99

MeGe99 wrote:

when i press play to listen something and mix the meters are responding slow (i would say that 1/32 note) or i record and i cant do it when the drums are playing because its slow to respond and i have to repair it afterwards manually . I have MIDI keyboard but i dont use it. I use qwerty keys for midi.

That buffer size (and 512) is only suitable for mixing, not for tracking. The maximum for tracking is 256, and 128 or 64 are preferrable. 32 may be too much (the smaller the buffer, the harder the CPU has to work, that's the tradeoff), but you can try it out for yourself. I use 128 when recording MIDI or audio.

Right beneath the buffer setting there's info about the latencies, and they're very helpfully converted it to real distance (here's the rule of foot about sound: it travels roughly one foot in one millisecond.

Logic Pro 9 is slow to respond and lagging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.