Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't submit podcast to iTunes with response "Technical difficultes"

Hi there,

Trying to submit my podcast feed to iTunes and every time get "Technical difficulties" error.

FeedValidator checked with "Valid RSS". Feed image is 1400x1400.

Maybe useing feedburner could be a problem?

Please assist.

Here is a podcast feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/RadioShoom-mt

Thank you and best regards.

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 5:08 AM

10 replies

Mar 24, 2014 5:25 AM in response to VallNTine

'Technical difficulties' is a catch-all error. It could possibly actually mean that there are problems at the Store end, in which case you can only try again later.

However:

1. Your media files are accessed through a Feedproxy URL - this can cause problems in itself, and then the result when checked in a browser is that the file downloads rather than plays in a browser. You should provide a direct link to the media file without a forced download - it may work (it does when subscribing), but it might cause problems. However if there is a problem with the episode files you normally get the 'difficulty in downloading your episodes' error so this may not be an issue.

2. It looks as if your episodes, for which playlists are provided, may consist of commercially issued recordings. Including such recordings without the written permission of the artists and recording companies involved is a breach of copyright, and of the terms of use for podcasting. If they suspect that this is what you are doing they will reject your podcast; I wish they would be specific in their error messages but it's possible that 'technical problems' has been used even if this is the case.

Mar 24, 2014 8:06 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

And short update:

I've fixed "feedproxy URL".. now it's direct link to the media.

From other side, I'm find out about those "byte=range" requests. So, if any one interested how to implement this:

If you useing Apache web-server you need to check if "header_module" enabled in your config. If not - please enable. For my apache/ubuntu it can be done by:

sudo a2enmod headers

and then restart apache

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

after that you need to check if "Accept-Ranges: byte" record exists in your config. This can be done by:

curl --head http://your server.com/path to media/media.mp3

If there is no response "Accept-Ranges: byte", then add to your .htaccess file next:

Header set Accept-Ranges byte

and restart apache.

Hope it would be helpful for someone...

Anyway... my problem still exists. 😟

Mar 24, 2014 9:03 AM in response to VallNTine

Your media file is still downloading, not playing in the browser.

http://radioshoom.com/audio/download/135/shoomlive-mt23032014.mp3

And testing for 'byte range requests' facility in Terminal brings up a negative result:

curl -I -r 200-300 http://radioshoom.com/audio/download/135/shoomlive-mt23032014.mp3

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 16:00:49 GMT

Server: Apache/2.4.6 (Ubuntu)

X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.3-1ubuntu2.2

Set-Cookie: SESSb6776a24f1e5fd2c658752fc56730b35=bs7t02ki6obfosqiptlo293vq2; expires=Wed, 16-Apr-2014 19:34:09 GMT; Max-Age=2000000; path=/; domain=.radioshoom.com

Expires: Sun, 19 Nov 1978 05:00:00 GMT

Last-Modified: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 16:00:49 GMT

Cache-Control: store, no-cache, must-revalidate

Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0

Content-Length: 120312521

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=shoomlive-mt23032014.mp3

Accept-Ranges: byte

Content-Type: audio/mpeg

As to your content, I'm not sure of the best way of informing the Store - probably you should put a note at the beginning of your 'itunes:summary' tag in the top section of the feed clarifying that you have clearance.

Mar 24, 2014 10:52 AM in response to VallNTine

it says

Content-Length: 120312521

which I take to be the entire file. This is what a successful result looks like:

curl -I -r 200-300 http://athoughtfulfaith.org/podcast/AThoughtfulFaith-001-GregPrince.mp3

HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content

Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 21:59:27 GMT

Server: Apache

Last-Modified: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 04:06:04 GMT

ETag: "3fb8374-2bf169c-4c7e6fa626300"

Accept-Ranges: bytes

Content-Length: 101

Content-Range: bytes 200-300/46077596

Content-Type: audio/mpeg

I can confirm that you file now plays and not downloads.

Mar 29, 2014 4:15 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thank you, Roger.

Finally I did it! )

And problem wasn't in .htaccess as I wrote before.

Anyway, if you are using Drupal for podcasting platform with Audio module - there is no chance to publish your podcasts in iTunes Store. Basicly because Audio module prevents partial content (byte-range). Solution is - ffpc (FileField Podcast) module and open filesystem in Drupal.

Good luck and best regards.

Apr 2, 2014 8:24 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger!

I am having problems uploading my feed to iTunes. I uploaded my audio to my website tlesproductions.com using my web provider's podcast app (webs.com).

I then created a feed with feedburner: http://feeds.feedburner.com/CultureSlips

When I try and submit it to iTunes I receive this message: there is a problem with your feed. your episodes are hosted on a server which doesn't support byte-range requests. enable byte-range requests and try your submission again.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Apr 2, 2014 8:33 AM in response to theresal12345

'Byte range requests' is the method iPhone use to download podcast episodes: it consists of requesting only part of the file at a time, rather than the entire file as happens when computers access it. Because iPhones can't download and play files on servers which do not handle this satisfactorily Apple have made it mandatory when submitting a podcast.

Testing the file in Terminal appears to confim their complaint. (Note that this affects the media file, it's not a problem about the feed itself).

I'm afraid you will have either to negotiate with the people running the server to see whether they are able to enable this facility, or find another hosting service which does handle it. (When considering a service you need to ask them whether they can handle this, and if they say no or don't know what you are talking about, go somewhere else).

Can't submit podcast to iTunes with response "Technical difficultes"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.