Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing Gmail problems to my iPad Air

Ok my wife got me the IPad Air, great right. I loved it until I just spent to last 10 hrs trying add my gmail account and have it work right. Must cell phones and products use gmail, so why would Apple put a product the doesn't work right in syncing contacts, calendar and email. Can anyone help and restore in using my ipad again.....lol

Thank you

iPad, iOS 7.0.1

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 8:32 AM

14 replies

Mar 24, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Brxtales

iOS will sync all of those things just by adding your Gmail account. You don't need an exchange account.You need to add your Gmail account in Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Then, you need to make sure that you've selected Mail, Contacts, Calenders (and Notes, if you like) in the Gmail account settings. I do this on my iPhone and iPad and it's seamless.

How are you trying to do this? What problems are you having? Without details, it's kind of tricky to troubleshoot.

Best of luck.

Mar 25, 2014 8:34 PM in response to Brxtales

Thank you both for replying to my question. To Alfred DeRose I checked out the link you posted and I had already tried that, however in part it is a exchange problem because google no longer helps you sync. But there has to be a way, to do it.

To Meg St_Clair, I tried to sync my gmail account to my Ipad using the exchange and the google setting to add my mail account. When I use the google setting I can get my calendar to sync but not the contacts. And when I use the exchange a few contacts pop up but no calendar. I was trying to keep my gmail because I have a Samsung galaxy III cell phone and my wife got me an iPad Air. The last few days I have been trying out "outlook" but while the contacts, mail sync the calendar is another story. And depending who ask on google or YouTube you get 101 ways to do something and after trying some of then they just don't work. Beside that the windows 8 and outlook can be a real pain in the butt to get around in and I'm not sure if it's worth the time to go that route yet.

I'm hoping that someone who has came across this problem could share how they got it to work, or I'm open to suggestion of what can us to link my contacts, mail and calendar between my PC, Samsung cell and my ipad.

Thanks again for your suggestions and to anyone else who could help me with this issue.

.........Help.....lol lol

Mar 25, 2014 8:50 PM in response to Brxtales

I have a Samsung Note 3, it replaced a galaxy s3, and an iPad. I have no problem syncing my gmail, contacts and calendar between the devices.

You are doing way to much work. Keep it simple....

On the galaxy you need to install these apps:

Smooth sync for iCloud calendar and

Job workaround for iCloud calendar

Add your iCloud account to smooth sync in settings under accounts.

On the iPad: Like I said, too much work! And it still doesn't work.

In settings

Mail, contacts, calendars

Add account

Google

Type in gmail user name and password

Turn on all switches (green)

Done. Done

Scroll down and choose default email and contacts as gmail if you want.

Your gmail and iCloud are now on speaking terms.

Mar 26, 2014 12:31 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg, I checked again and you're right, but I think this is a little magic on Apple's part. I haven't been through to test it, but it may be that Google provides some indicator on which accounts are premium and which not. My theory is that premium accounts get set up as Exchange accounts but non-premium (free) get setup using CalDav, CardDav and IMAP separately. When I have time, I'll go through it and test it out.

Mar 26, 2014 5:41 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Alfred DeRose wrote:

Meg, I checked again and you're right, but I think this is a little magic on Apple's part. I haven't been through to test it, but it may be that Google provides some indicator on which accounts are premium and which not. My theory is that premium accounts get set up as Exchange accounts but non-premium (free) get setup using CalDav, CardDav and IMAP separately. When I have time, I'll go through it and test it out.

No, there is no magic. I do not have a paid Gmail account. I simply set up my Gmail account as indicated and my contacts sync. It can take a few minutes for all of the contacts to come through but not much more than than.

Mar 27, 2014 3:04 PM in response to Brxtales

Thank you, to everyone for replying in trying to help me with this issue. But I found app called "Sunrise" its for Ipad it works for gmail and exchange emails. I downloaded it last night, synced my Gmail calendar. Its work really good, I updated my calendar today on my ipad and it synced right away to my Samsung cell.

To lizdance40 I going to try your sugeestion, thank for the step by step list. But first I have to a Icloud problem. I'm haveing. When I downloaded icloud to my PC and to my Ipad everything was working great between the two, however becuase of the gmail issue I was trying to fix. I had to change my Apple ID in Itune to a different email address. So now The Icoud on my Ipad keeps showing the old email address and no matter what I try to do it won't let me log in. I deleted and reinstalled the Icloud on the PC using the Itunes be with out the icloud PW on the old email on the Ipad it won't let me correct it or delete it.

I guest my next step is to reset my ipad and start all over butttttttt........before I go that route if you or anyone esle have any suggestions I'm all ears.....lol

Thanks Again

Jul 13, 2014 12:01 AM in response to Brxtales

Did you get this to work? I was having this problem, kept getting the message that my user name or password was incorrect. I figured out that it was because I had 2-step verification enabled on my Gmail account. Once I turned that off I was able to install my gmail account using the settings>mail, contacts, calendars etc. route everyone mentioned above.

Dec 1, 2014 12:29 PM in response to lizdance40

Thank you so much. I spent many hours trying to get this to work. I used procedures from my old iPad 2. I went online and tried many different approaches. I even went to best buy and consulted with their Geek Squad. All to no avail. I had at best limited success with the above. Smooth sync worked! It was worth the minimal investment.

Syncing Gmail problems to my iPad Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.