Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I mirror whats on my MacBook Pro to my HDTV via Apple TV will it be in 1080p? For example, a downloaded movie.

As per the title. If I have an Apple TV connected to my HDTV and I have a full HD downloaded movie, when I mirror whats on my Macbook Pro will the quality be 1080p on my HDTV?

Thanks in advance,
Lewis.

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 10:30 AM

1 reply

Mar 26, 2014 8:56 AM in response to SuperLewby

Hello Lewis,

Thank you for the question. When AirPlay Mirroring, the quality should match your television’s resolution. You can check the resolution when using AirPlay in System Preferences:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Displays.
  2. Click Scaled, then select a resolution. Some apps may not fit entirely on the screen in some scaled resolutions. Using a scaled resolution may affect performance.

OS X Mavericks: Adjust your display resolution

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14388

Additionally, you can match your desktop size to the resolution for the Apple TV:

Optimizing image quality

Resolution Matching modes

You can choose between two desktop resolution matching modes that let you select which display will have the best image. When AirPlay Mirroring is turned on, select a "Match Desktop Size" choice via the AirPlay Mirroring menu extra.

User uploaded file

• Match Desktop Size To: Apple TV
    AirPlay Mirroring changes the desktop resolution to best match your Apple TV, resulting in a 16:9 image that fills the HDTV screen. This setting often produces the sharpest image on the HDTV. Note: The aspect ratio and/or resolution of the built-in Mac display may change to accommodate the Apple TV.
  • Match Desktop Size To: This Mac
    AirPlay Mirroring scales the contents of the desktop to fit on the Apple TV, leaving the resolution of your Mac's display unchanged. Use this setting for the sharpest image on your Mac's display. Note: Depending on your Mac model, the resulting image may not fill the HDTV screen.

About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

If I mirror whats on my MacBook Pro to my HDTV via Apple TV will it be in 1080p? For example, a downloaded movie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.