Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to update software (from7.0.6) but get warning: "There are purchased items on the iPad that have not been transferred to your iTunes library." Yikes - how do I do this?

My iPAd is in need of an update AND I'm running out of room (only 1GB left) but when I try to update, I get the warning that I need to transfer purchased items from my iPAd to the library but I can't figure out how to do this. And does this mean songs? Apps? Why doesn't it automatically Sync?

I also have an odd situation with my iPad that I have never been able to solve so maybe this is also connected:

All of my iPAd songs are from my Library that shared with a MacBookPro that crashed and burned. When I got my new MacBook, ITunes wouldn't/couldn't/didn't update that Library onto this new Laptop (I have no idea why and I tried to figure it but couldn't). Could the warning be talking about all of the songs that I can't figure out how to get back into my Library? I don't want to loose those songs when I update the software. 😟

Any ideas?

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.5, purchased new in Dubai, UAE

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 10:55 AM

4 replies

Mar 24, 2014 11:07 AM in response to tazzmeyer

You have items on the iPad that were downloaded or synced to the device that are not in your iTunes library as the message states. That consists of apps, books, videos, songs ....anything that you have downloaded but not yet transferred into iTunes on your computer.

Prior to the latest updates in iTunes, those items would transfer automatically - the overwhelming majority of the time - when you synced your device with your computer. There were times however, when the transfer didn't work automatically and you always had the ability to do the transfer manually. You will read about that in the link that Niel provided. Now, iTunes sees those non transferred items and warns you about them before you sync so that you have the opportunity to move them to the computer first and so that they are not erased when you sync.

Anyway, if the songs that you have on the iPad were purchased from iTunes, they will transfer back into your iTunes library when you follow the instructions in the link. If they were no purchased from iTunes, you cannot transfer them back to the Mac without using a third party app like this one.

http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/

Oct 1, 2014 7:01 PM in response to tazzmeyer

I have the same issue - I have no idea what the message is refereing to as I have synced and music is transfered (I think)

I dont want to use third party software why cannot apple tell me how to do this on an IPAD - they tell me how to do it on an iphone and the screan is not the same. I read a link somewhere that said right click on the ipad and the secreet transer option appears BUT i cannot find where to right click

Trying to update software (from7.0.6) but get warning: "There are purchased items on the iPad that have not been transferred to your iTunes library." Yikes - how do I do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.