Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)

This has happened twice in one week. I'm 99% it's not the developers' fault, because the first time it happened, it was with Camtasia. They're big to be making mistakes. They even said that they got 100s of other downloads that day that worked. This time it's with Synfig, an animation program. When I download it, nothing happened. When I tried to copy it to applications, it gave me ^that^ error. When this happened with Camtasia, when I tried to mount it to disk, it had an invalid checksum, and it didn't work. They were nice enough to give me a FTP and HTTP download link. It didn't work with HTTP, but FTP worked. (Maybe just luck?) This time, I don't want to ask for a link becasue the person who owns the website has quit or something. The community is still active, but they'll hardly know. Besides, it looks like this is a problem on my end and not theirs. So yeah, Error Code -36. That's an I/O error. Is that a sign of a failing hard drive, or am I having problems while downloading? Please respond. Thanks 😀

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 11:05 AM

4 replies

Mar 24, 2014 12:35 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the detailed answer ಠ_ಠ

But really though, how? I've only had my laptop for under a year. I'm pretty sure my hard drive is fine. None my files are corrupted. Everything works like it should. No errors in the console. It's just those two.

EDIT: I used SMART Utility and it said my hard drive was fine. I even tried other downloads and they worked fine.

Mar 26, 2014 8:35 AM in response to Linc Davis

Aint you quick to jump to conslusions? So becasue one thing isn't working of the hundreds of things I donwloaded doesnt work, my drivers are broken?

Ok then, let me download some other things to make sure

Minecraft: it worked

Firefox: it worked

Synthesia: it worked

iExplorer: it worked

Pencil: it worked

Flash: it worked

Synfig was made in 2006, so it's not unlikely that it might not work for some people. By 'some people', I mean me. I was just asking if it was something on my side, but if that's all you got, I think it's highly unlikely that it's my fault. I don't even want it anymore, I got Flash Professional. I was just wondering. I could have sworn you used to write more detailed answers before jumping striaght to conclusions. 'Did this happen to you on anything else?' or maybe even 'Why don't you complain to them?' would have been fine.

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.