Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i don't want silence on when phone is locked or unlocked,how to remove it?

I don't want silence on when phone is locked or unlocked how to remove it?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2017 7:28 PM

I do not have DOD "on" with green button on. I also set DOD to "Allow calls from everyone" BUT the phone still does not make a sound. PS-I did update the software recently. Did that update cause this problem? I had an injury today & people are trying to get ahold of me. I really need my sounds for incoming calls & texts.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2017 7:28 PM in response to FoxFifth

I do not have DOD "on" with green button on. I also set DOD to "Allow calls from everyone" BUT the phone still does not make a sound. PS-I did update the software recently. Did that update cause this problem? I had an injury today & people are trying to get ahold of me. I really need my sounds for incoming calls & texts.

May 27, 2017 9:13 AM in response to marthafromrensselaer

marthafromrensselaer wrote:

If you do not have Do Not Disturb (which is what I assume you mean by DOD) turned on, none of the other settings on that page will have any affect on your phone.

Have you checked to make sure that you haven't inadvertently engaged the mute switch? It's the little slider above the volume buttons. Make sure to slide it toward the front of the phone.

Mar 24, 2014 1:52 PM in response to Holspols

If you are referring to the Settings > Do Not Disturb option of Silence, there are 2 choices: Always & Only while iPhone is locked and one of those 2 has to be checked. However that is only used when Do Not Disturb is on (green) in the Manual option above or if you have a Scheduled Do Not Disturb in effect. If Do Not Disturb is not on then there is no effect from the Silence setting. Another way of wording those 2 choices would be: "Do you want the phone silenced all of the time Do Not Disturb is on or just when Do Not Disturb is on and the phone is locked?"

Jun 24, 2015 7:35 AM in response to Edmundo Butler

Edmundo Butler wrote:

This does not explain why we can select >Always or >Only when locked when Do Not Disturb is either on or off. Any ideas?

If DND is turned off, you can't select either one because they have no function when DND is off. Those settings only effect the behavior of DND once DND is turned on. They have NO effect on the phone if DND is turned off.

i don't want silence on when phone is locked or unlocked,how to remove it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.