Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I rename the PDF (both Title & Author) in new ibooks for Mavericks?

Hi!

I can't seem to amend both Title and Author for my PDFs in the new ibooks App in Mavericks.

(Opening it in Preview and renaming it does not change the Author name FYI)

The current solutions present are for 2013 and there is none for the new app in Mavericks.

My obsessiveness does not allow me to list my books in such haphard fashion.

Any kind souls able to help?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 12:29 PM

6 replies

Mar 25, 2014 4:49 PM in response to Major Crap

Lets start again ! Which app are you using to create your book/PDF?

Seeing this - Opening it in Preview I assumed you were using iBooksAuthor- hence my reply. I myself do not use or create ePubs or any eBooks with other applications.

IF you use iBooks Author, you can change the author name using the Inspector, first icon top left, select "Document" that window will allow your to enter all the metadata required.

iBooks.app on iPads or Maversick is a "viewing" app ie it allows you to open books etc,. on the device its used on. Its "read only" in computing terms.. you cannot change anything.

Changes are made in the book as above.

IF you export to PDF, again its read only. Granted Acrobat and other apps allow some content to be edited BUT the TOC and hidden metadata cannot.

User uploaded file

Sep 1, 2014 12:24 PM in response to picas

LOL! As you've explained it, the reason this community is called iBook for Macs is because you can easily change PDF titles on a Mac 🙂

-

I know that people like to be gatekeepers--and I know that people can post in the wrong places--but that's not what happened here. I was correcting the previous comment about iBooks on the iPads! (See earlier post above.)

-

"iBooks.app on iPads or Maversick is a "viewing" app ie it allows you to open books etc,. on the device its used on. Its "read only" in computing terms.. you cannot change anything."

-

I wanted to do it by not directly pointing out the person's error, but you've forced my hand! 🙂

--------

By the way, I ended up at this thread inadvertently while looking for how to change book titles in iBooks under iOS. So, in case anyone else ends up here looking for how to change PDF titles on their iPads, they'll know it can be done and how!

-

Happy Labor Day, everyone!

How do I rename the PDF (both Title & Author) in new ibooks for Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.