Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can no longer open previous project files in the latest version of FCPX (10.1.1)

In the latest version of FCPX (10.1.1), you can no longer access/open projects from the button in the lower left corner. Clicking on that button now merely brings up an index of clips in the current project's timeline. Why is that? And how do I now access my project library? By the way, clicking File>Open Library does nothing.

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 1:43 PM

You should learn about the changes introduced in 10.1, which are very significant and much for the better.

The most important is the introduction of Libraries.

There is no longer a "project browser". Libraries are the containers of your events and projects, and can be stored anywhere.

The older versions had two buttons - the one you mention was already there, and opens the "Timeline Index", like it already did. The "project browser" does not exist anymore, and therefore the respective button does not exist either.

I suggest you follow some great explanations about the new features here:

http://www.rippletraining.com/fcpx-features.html

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2014 1:43 PM in response to peikspeak

You should learn about the changes introduced in 10.1, which are very significant and much for the better.

The most important is the introduction of Libraries.

There is no longer a "project browser". Libraries are the containers of your events and projects, and can be stored anywhere.

The older versions had two buttons - the one you mention was already there, and opens the "Timeline Index", like it already did. The "project browser" does not exist anymore, and therefore the respective button does not exist either.

I suggest you follow some great explanations about the new features here:

http://www.rippletraining.com/fcpx-features.html

Mar 24, 2014 2:16 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you, Luis. I'm watching the Ripple Training videos as I write this.

The video indicates that in updating to the new version of FCPX, my previous projects should automatically be nested with the associated event in my project library. However, in the new consolidated project library, I'm not finding any of my previous projects—only all my previous events and clips associated with them.

Is there some other step I should be taking?

Mar 24, 2014 3:39 PM in response to peikspeak

PROBLEM SOLVED: I called Apple Support, and they did an online session with me to solve the issue. Turns out the update to 10.1.1 somehow disassociated my projects from my events and placed them in another drive—outside of any associated events. Once I found the projects, I merely had to manually drag/drop them back within FCPX into the drives/events listed in the project library. Now, when I click on the given event, the associated project(s) appear above the associated media, where they belong.

Mar 24, 2014 4:06 PM in response to Alchroma

No, the support technician didn't know how that could happen. He was the one who suggested clicking on my Mac's master hard drive (I don't work out of there for FCPX, instead using an external drive), and voila!—there were my projects.

The good news is nothing was deleted, and FCPX recognized all the hard drives that had FCP media on them. The projects weren't associated with any events, just hanging out independently. At the tech's suggestion, I dragged/dropped what I needed to back into the associated events listed under my external drive. I can access them from there now.

Can no longer open previous project files in the latest version of FCPX (10.1.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.