Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use Sound Effects in GarageBand

Hello,

I'm a podcaster and I bought my new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago. I use audacity, but the ability to drop in live sounds using garageband seems like a great function. I.e. Being able to hit a key and have the "crickets" noise drop in at the time we are recording seems like it would be very helpful.

Unfortunately, from what I can tell, a lot of the podcasting tools and sound effects like that have been taken out of Garageband. I see that if you had the older version of GarageBand you could basically port over your sounds from a previous era, but I am new to Mac so I don't have that. I also see that there are tons of sound effects in Imovie-but that doesn't do me any good in Garage Band when I'm recording live.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with any of the following:

1. Help me get the old sound effects (applause, boxing bells, all sorts of things) into GarageBand to be used in the way I describe

2. Help me copy the sound effects from Imovie into Garageband (if that is possible, it would be a good start)

3. Point me to a bunch of sound effects I could buy (if I had to) to achieve the same result.

4. I have some sound effects that are saved as MP3s that I made. I use them with Audacity, but i have to add them after the fact. total pain in the butt. Can they be converted to something useable in Garageband?

5. Can anyone point me to a piece of software that might work better? I'd rather not spend money I am sure something a program I own should be able to do. I don't think Audacity can do it (tho if I am wrong on that, someone let me know).

Thanks,

FWIW: I use two condenser mics and an M-Audio USB Interface. Macbook Pro OS X 10.9.2 24. GHz, Intel Core i5. It's not a fancy set up at all. Sometimes we have folks call in on Google Hangouts and I use Ladiocast/Soundflower to get them into the feed as well. But that's it.

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 1:40 PM

I will request that your query be relocated to the GarageBand forum where knowledgeable GarageBand users will be able to assit you.

Ciao.

2 replies

How to use Sound Effects in GarageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.