Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBeacon without an app

Does anyone know about the use of iBeacons without a dedicated app? As a small business, could I implement iBeacons in my store to send notifications to clients phones about shop info and deals for example without having my clients to install an app?

Any relevant information would be awesome!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2.66 GHz i7, 240GB SSD & 750GB HD

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 1:44 PM

4 replies

Mar 24, 2014 2:36 PM in response to fitzlegge

"You do have to install an app, though. For example, let’s say your local mall installs an iBeacon system for directions to stores, promotions, coupons and other information. Your iPhone won’t be affected by their iBeacon system unless you install the mall’s app. But once you do install the app, the app no longer needs to be running in order for the iBeacon system to interact with your phone."

From: http://www.cultofmac.com/270173/arent-people-freaking-ibeacon/#LDzGJv7qcWDUcTYS. 99

Mar 24, 2014 9:26 PM in response to fitzlegge

No, you don't need an app. You can create a Passbook pass, which is just a package of JSON data and image assets. One of the pieces of JSON data may be iBeacon data. Your usuers will see a Passboook notification on their lock screen when in proximity of the beacon. Checkout Passkit.com for a free demo pass to play with.

iBeacon without an app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.