Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to properly manage videos between iPhone - iPhoto - iTunes

Maybe Im going about this all wrong, but this is what I do. I take pics and videos on my iphone. Eventually I plug it into the computer and iPhoto asks me to import. I select all the items I want to import so all gets put into iPhoto.

iTunes is a different matter. A few months ago I saw my iCloud account was full. So I realized that I could back up my iphone to iTunes and then import everything to iPhoto and after importing, tell iPhoto to delete those videos and photos from my Camera Roll. No big deal cause its all imported into iPhoto. Not only that but now my camera roll was not so full, so my iCLoud was not packed.

However I notice that videos are not backed up. In other words, when Itunes backs up my stuff, what I mean is, all my pictures get moved out of Camera Roll and into an album, such as Last Imported or any event that I created for it. But only pics are present, no videos. Thus I have to go to iPhoto to view my videos.

I guess it makes sense, otherwise my iphone storage itself would fill up quite quickly.

Is this the best way to manage this?

The one thing that worries me, is that now my MBA is filling up and I have this 27GB .... oh wait, its a 27GB iMovie file! Man Im confused...

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Late 2012

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 3:08 PM

2 replies

Mar 24, 2014 3:13 PM in response to santiagofrommiami

Cannot address your Mac questions, but as far as iCloud is concerned, you are correct that video files are not in the iCloud backup. Those are only found in a regular iTunes backup. And video files are handled on a different tab in iTunes, not the same one as photos. You also would access the photos in the Photo library, while you access the videos in the Videos app.

How to properly manage videos between iPhone - iPhoto - iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.