Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to apply white balance from jpeg to raw version

I always shoot in RAW + jpeg format. Many times the jpeg will work fine and I still have the RAW if I want to take the time to tweak things a bit more.

But sometimes the jpeg stumbles on a white balance that works well for a particular image. If I want to apply that same balance to the RAW version, I would like to be able to read what that color balance setting (in K degrees I assume) is so I can copy it.

Is there a way to find that info somewhere? The exif will only give you the name of the setting (Flash, Auto, Cloudy, whatever...) but not the numerical info needed to apply it in Aperture's White balance adjustment.

I use a Nikon D600.

Thanks very much for any info!

Bo

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 2:58 PM

9 replies

Mar 24, 2014 3:30 PM in response to Bmachine

Unfortunately, there isn't. There isn't really any white balance in a JPEG file. There's just... a finished file.

So you can eyeball it, or you can just attempt to white balance on something that should have a neutral color cast.

Note as a general rule, flash and daylight are in the 5000-5500K range, shade is ~6500K, and cloudy is ~7500K as a starting point. You'll need to play with tint to get an acceptable balance on the green/magenta scale.

Mar 24, 2014 3:35 PM in response to William Lloyd

Thanks William.

But, uh, yes, there is a white balance in a jpeg file. As a matter of fact, you can read it in the exif file where it will tell you that the camera applied a preset (sunny, cloudy, whater) color correction before baking the file and saving it in jpeg format.

What I am looking for is the actual numerical value that the camera used so I can apply the exact same onto the raw file. I can get pretty close by eye but skin tones often have subtle value changes that are harder to nail.

Bo

Mar 28, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Keith Barkley

OK, progress!

I found out from Iliah Borg on the dpreview.com forum that the utility ExifTool (or its GUI version pyExifToolGUI) will provide the R, B, G1 and G2 values for the white balance setting. They are provided as multipliers or absolute vaules. Example:

WB RB Levels : 1.51953125 1.8515625 1 1

WB GRBG Levels : 256 389 474 256

Now does anyone know how you can enter these type of numberic values in Aperture? The standard White Balance brick does not have input fileds for these types.

Apr 3, 2014 12:20 PM in response to Bmachine

Not possible in Aperture. Might be possible somehow via Exiftool, to copy the settings from one to the other,

But I have no idea if doing that would affect the image.

You can do a test, get a Raw and JPG look at the settings on the JPG and set those in the Raw then import it. If the image reflects the changed values then it is doable, If not then you're possibly out of luck.

How to apply white balance from jpeg to raw version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.