Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone had the iPhone 5 completely stop working after the one year warranty period? Is there a defect in this phone?

Apple care won't cover this phone since it is past the one year warranty. Apparently this is a common problem with these phones

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 4:36 PM

7 replies

Mar 24, 2014 8:04 PM in response to MitchM2337

Yeah - something is definitely wrong. Starting in Jan of this year and again this month. I see a lot of variations of these issues online - but no solutions other than - Reset Network Settings - Restore Phone -Take to Apple. The number of people having issues and the timing of these issues makes it pretty clear this isn't an isolated phone/hardware issue.

What's the out of warranty exchange?

Mar 24, 2014 8:20 PM in response to diesel vdub

Yeah - that's my last attempt. However it's not so simple due to trusted certificates for work related applications. The point here is that there are obviously issues with 7.06 (known) and 7.1 (known but not admitted by Apple). Why should I have to wipe my device completely due to an upgrade? That's a complete fail right there. The fact that Apple obviously knows bad remains silent is the bigger issue. Funny how the first sign of issues occurred just over a year after Christmas. Out of warranty - get the 5c. Just saying.

Mar 24, 2014 8:38 PM in response to Chris CA

Brilliant. Really? Hey I see re-install an app -- reboot etc. But come on the update they rushed to fix their other botched update screwed some people more. My phone was fine - the update hosed it. So now I pay the price. iPhone has lost the luster. Will just stay status quo with instability - so I don't have to reinstall multiple work related apps which is much more work then just restore as new. I need my phone for work - and I can't trust it anymore. Ha ha. Because it isn't working.... The ios update isn't working.

Has anyone had the iPhone 5 completely stop working after the one year warranty period? Is there a defect in this phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.