Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the same Apple ID for two iPhone's?

Can I use the same Apple ID on both mine and my partners iPhones? and will there be any troubles or problems that may occur?

Thank you

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2017 10:12 PM

You probably want different Apple IDs for iMessage and FaceTime; otherwise, you will get each other's messages

Here is how I solved that problem (iOS 11.1 and iPhone 8 ). We do not get each other's messages.

Settings > iMessage turned ON, below is Send & Receive > make sure that only the iPhones actual phone number is checked. Other iPhone should be unchecked.

FaceTime is also turned on.

FYI, Once the above is done it doesn't seem to matter that both numbers are listed under "a phone number I can be reached at" in iCloud. Settings > Name (at the top) > Phone Numbers, Email

I did separate our previous iPhones for about six months. I later put both phones on the same account and I like it much better. It just makes it easier for me to do maintenance and other sharing tasks when my wife and I are on the same account.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2017 10:12 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

You probably want different Apple IDs for iMessage and FaceTime; otherwise, you will get each other's messages

Here is how I solved that problem (iOS 11.1 and iPhone 8 ). We do not get each other's messages.

Settings > iMessage turned ON, below is Send & Receive > make sure that only the iPhones actual phone number is checked. Other iPhone should be unchecked.

FaceTime is also turned on.

FYI, Once the above is done it doesn't seem to matter that both numbers are listed under "a phone number I can be reached at" in iCloud. Settings > Name (at the top) > Phone Numbers, Email

I did separate our previous iPhones for about six months. I later put both phones on the same account and I like it much better. It just makes it easier for me to do maintenance and other sharing tasks when my wife and I are on the same account.

Mar 24, 2014 5:19 PM in response to Ihateallfruit

Yes, but there will be quirks. See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1495

What isn't obvious is that you can use different Apple IDs for different functions on your iPhone; for example iCloud, iTunes & App Stores, Game Center, iMessage and FaceTime can all have different Apple IDs from each other.

• If you use the same Apple ID for Find my iPhone then both phone's locations will show up at https://icloud.com/find. Which can be good or bad, depending on your situation.
  • If you use the same Apple ID for iTunes & App Stores you can have the same apps and music on both phones; some or all of them.
  • You probably want different Apple IDs for iMessage and FaceTime; otherwise, you will get each other's messages
  • Also different for Game Center.

Mar 24, 2014 5:39 PM in response to Ihateallfruit

You have to use iCloud for email, calendar and other personal information if you use the same Apple ID.

If you use all the same information, same Apple ID and don't use the cloud, you will have all of each other's information on both phones. The phones will mirror any information synced with Apple ID.

You can use your phone number to use FaceTime on the iPhone. IMessage is also the texting application. You can use phone number for iMessage.

Can I use the same Apple ID for two iPhone's?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.