Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad won't download apps. They just keep waiting. Recently changed my user id and verified my email address

My iPad won't download apps. They just keep waiting. I recently changed my Apple ID and verified my email address.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 5:55 PM

I have posted this boilerplate of suggestions many times in the past. Some of these suggestions have worked for others, give them a try and perhaps one will work for you.

1. Tap the "waiting" icon and see if you can pause it. If it does pause, then tap it again and see if it will resume. If that works, repeat the same steps for each "waiting" icon.

2. Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

3. Make sure that you do not have a stalled download in iTunes - if you have a download in there that did not finish, complete that one first.

4. If that doesn't work - sign out of your account, restart the iPad and then sign in again.

Settings>iTunes & App Store>Apple ID. Tap your ID and sign out. Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Go back to Settings>iTunes & App Store>Sign in and then try to update again. Tap one waiting icon only if necessary to start the download stream.

5. You can also try deleting the waiting icons - tap and hold down on an icon until it wiggles - the tap the X on the icon to delete it. Then try to download again. Apps may also be able to be deleted in Settings>General>Usage>Storage if you cannot get the X to pop up on the icon.

6. You can try resetting all settings. Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. You will have to enter all of your device settings again.... All of the settings in the settings app will have to be re-entered.

7. If all else fails, download the updates or the apps in iTunes on your computer and then sync the content to your iPad.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2014 5:55 PM in response to West1957

I have posted this boilerplate of suggestions many times in the past. Some of these suggestions have worked for others, give them a try and perhaps one will work for you.

1. Tap the "waiting" icon and see if you can pause it. If it does pause, then tap it again and see if it will resume. If that works, repeat the same steps for each "waiting" icon.

2. Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

3. Make sure that you do not have a stalled download in iTunes - if you have a download in there that did not finish, complete that one first.

4. If that doesn't work - sign out of your account, restart the iPad and then sign in again.

Settings>iTunes & App Store>Apple ID. Tap your ID and sign out. Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Go back to Settings>iTunes & App Store>Sign in and then try to update again. Tap one waiting icon only if necessary to start the download stream.

5. You can also try deleting the waiting icons - tap and hold down on an icon until it wiggles - the tap the X on the icon to delete it. Then try to download again. Apps may also be able to be deleted in Settings>General>Usage>Storage if you cannot get the X to pop up on the icon.

6. You can try resetting all settings. Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. You will have to enter all of your device settings again.... All of the settings in the settings app will have to be re-entered.

7. If all else fails, download the updates or the apps in iTunes on your computer and then sync the content to your iPad.

Jun 9, 2016 3:00 AM in response to Demo

While your reply is generally helpful (thanks!), it seems quite lame to me that Apple cannot fix such a basic and core app as App Store...😟

I've got this happening to me every time I go downloading 5+ apps from the store - at first they start installing properly, but after a few clicking Install button in the next product keeps spinning and never turns into a downloading progress icon. Matching app icon is created on desktop as Waiting... and download never completes. Getting more apps at this point bring them all into this Waiting state. The only way I found to get out of this bug once it happens is to restart the iPad. Unfortunately it also causes all this unfinished apps to disappear both from desktop and from the App Store history, so you need to find them again.

(iPad Pro 9.7" owner)

Jun 10, 2016 8:21 AM in response to test375

My reply was written over two years ago as you can see. Back then, most of these suggestions would do the trick for the most part. These days, I am finding the App Store to be a little flakier myself with regard to app updates. Quite often I will hit the update all button and a few apps will being the circling cycle to download and then just stop on me. I have to restart downloads too often as well. Usually though, all that I have to do is to tap the update button again (or maybe one more time) and the download will resume.

My iPad won't download apps. They just keep waiting. Recently changed my user id and verified my email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.