Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Time Machine transfer my problems?

Hi,

I have a question about using Time Machine to transfer my old computer contents to a new computer without also transferring the problems the old computer is having.

I've been using a Macbook Pro (OSX 10.6.8, 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 4GB ram, 256 GB) for about 5 years. I just bought a new Mac Air (OSX 10.9, 1.3 Ghz core i5, 8GB ram, 256 GB). The old computer runs pretty clunky with lots of beachball-of-death (I'd filled 220 of 256 GB space, so I just transferred 75GB to an external hardrive and cut it down to 175 GB).

My question: I want to use Time Machine to backup the old Mac Pro and transfer it with all programs and files to the new Mac Air. Do I also risk transferring all the gunk (background applications and stuff) that's making the computer run slow? Is there a way around that?

Thanks

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013)

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 8:39 PM

1 reply

Will Time Machine transfer my problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.