Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.9.2 update won't update on my imac 2010 at all, and now my computer won't shutdown or restart without a hard boot. Did anyone have this same problem and figure out how to fix it?

So for the past few weeks I've been trying to update the 10.9.2 update on my imac (2010 - 21.5 inch) and when I attempt to try to update the software my screen goes grey with a Software Updater top bar the shows up on the top of the grey screen and then just quits doing anything (except the screen saver which works after nothing else happens - and that shows you how long I've been waiting for the grey screen to magically do something. I've attempted downloading the software update then installing it but the same thing happens. I don't think any of my 3rd party software is the cause of this and i'd rather not uninstall the programs since the update won't even do anything. Utility is telling me nothing but the usual ARD element unable to be modified.

With the several failed attempts at installing this update (probably around 15x) my computer will not shutdown nor restart on command anymore. The only way I can shut it down is holding the power button.

I used to have so much faith in Apple products and used to be a devoted user, but since Jobs passed away the direction of Apple has gone down the toilet.

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), trying to convert to 10.9.2

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 9:26 PM

11 replies

Mar 24, 2014 9:51 PM in response to IUsedToLoveMacs

a Software Updater top bar

That is not normal. Only Firmware Updates do that. Regular software updates do not show the thermometer bar.

But if your Drive is damaged and will not mount, then the thermometer bar will appear while it does the equivalent of Disk Utility (Repair Disk).

First, you need to fix your Drive. Go to Safe Mode OR use Recovery_HD and Run Disk Utility (Repair Disk).

Mar 25, 2014 4:46 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I appreciate the help but that's not the answer I'm looking for, I'm already done with all the other updates. I'm looking for someone with the same problem stated in the question. I don't think unless you have a 2010 imac you are going through same problem. Again thank you for the help but I'm looking for someone that is experiencing the same problem that might have found a solution.

Mar 25, 2014 7:53 AM in response to IUsedToLoveMacs

I don't think unless you have a 2010 imac you are going through same problem

Actually, if the problem is software related, the hardware is of far less importance (or possibly none at all). I have a 2010 iMac and do not have the problem. Showing a bar with SU is not normal on any Mac and I agree with Grant.

You appear to have a borked system - the cause of that so far undetermined. So, did you check your apps to make sure they're all compatible? Do you have any "cleaning" or "AV" software installed? If so, which apps? If not, follow Grant's suggestions.

Mar 25, 2014 10:51 AM in response to babowa

Borked system? Maybe before you are so quick to judge you should research, but there are others that are having the same exact problem. I'm glad for you that you are not having the same error maybe your setup is different, but here are several others with the same issue. This issue started with the 10.9.2 update it's my system, the computer still works fine and all other updates still happen.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5951355?answerId=25043623022#25043623022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5950439

http://macforums.com/32-os-x-system/3050-system-freeze-after-updating-os-x-maver icks-10-9-2-a.html

I've already do Grants suggestions, which are not at all addressing the question I am asking, and unfortunately you aren't one to do it either since your iMac is fine.

Mar 25, 2014 4:47 PM in response to babowa

Well Bababooey if you're comparing yourself to a Apple Genius Bar then you should already know my answer, your snarky remark get a snarky reply. Why would I go to a salesperson to fix my computer problem when I can go directly go to the source itself. I used to sell Apple computers over 8 years ago and was apple certified before the Genius bar existed. If I am to go about fixing an issue I can't fix on my own I will go to the source itself meaning Apple's programmers and developers - being UI UX Developer myself I know they should have QA'd all platforms and troubleshooted any arising issues.

This was also the first time in the 20 years I've been using a Mac that I even attempted to go on this forum which i thought would put me in connection with a certified Apple representative. This turned out to be a complete waste of time just being a public forum with no Apple employee involved. I was hoping to find a quick fix but in turn I was only frustrated with stupid responses such as yours that were in no way an answer to my original question.

BTW I fixed the issue on my own and without your help or Apples help. I'm glad if all forums point here regarding this issue because I now have the answer. The answer I was looking for from someone earlier was as simple as this {Download Maverick and reinstall the platform - it will take an hour to do but afterward 10.9.2 was installed and my computer is now able to shutdown and restart without having to do a hard boot.} No more software update bar at top and no problems with my drive which I told both you and Grant - I know my computer better than you and I've probably been using them longer than you.

So again Babowa you were so wrong...... and I am right.

Again anyone having the same problem, I suggest reinstalling Maverick and you'll be suprised 10.9.2 will work fine.

Mar 25, 2014 5:11 PM in response to IUsedToLoveMacs

Well Bababooey if you're comparing yourself to a Apple Genius Bar

I certainly did not and would not.

Why would I go to a salesperson to fix my computer

The Genius Bar is not sales.

So again Babowa you were so wrong...... and I am right.

Again anyone having the same problem, I suggest reinstalling Maverick and you'll be suprised 10.9.2 will work fine.

Software problems are usually fixed by a reinstall - everyone knows that; that is why I said:

You appear to have a borked system - the cause of that so far undetermined.

And yours apparently was. I really don't care if you think I was 'so' wrong. But I'm very glad that you were right. I am done here.

10.9.2 update won't update on my imac 2010 at all, and now my computer won't shutdown or restart without a hard boot. Did anyone have this same problem and figure out how to fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.