Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What format(s) can I work with instead of Apple Pro Res 422 in Final Cut 6.0.6 on a 2007 MacBook Pro?

Hi,

I need to import H.264 files into Final Cut 6.0.6. on my 2007 MacBook Pro.

I transcoded them into ProRes 422.

While Final Cut 6.0.6. supports Pro Res 422, the computer is apparently too old (it has a Intel Core 2 Duo processor and I found that I need either the Intel Xeon or G5 Quad Computer to be able to work well with ProRes422 in FC 6.0.6), so the files don't work well when I play them on the Timeline (the playback gets slow, drops frames etc.)

What format could I convert the H.264 files into instead of ProRes 422 to keep working on my old computer?

Thanks a lot!

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 9:51 PM

14 replies

Mar 24, 2014 10:51 PM in response to joenapkin

In Final Cut, click on one of the source clips in the FCP Browser to select it. Once it is selected, type Command + 9 to see the item properties for the clip. Either report those properties here, or tale a screen shot of the Item Properties and post that here.

Next, click anywhere in your timeline, and then type Command + 0 {zero} to see your Sequence Settings. Either report those settings here, or take a screen shot of the Sequence Settings and post that here.

Is your timeline set to playback with Dynamic Video Quality and Dynamic Frame Rate?

User uploaded file

MtD

Mar 25, 2014 11:52 AM in response to joenapkin

Premiere is format agnostic...it works with pretty much anything. It works with camera formats natively, no need to convert. It works great with ProRes...H.264, AVCHD...whathaveyou.

BUT!!!

You need a beefy machine in order to work with the footage smoothly. Adobe craves fast processors, craves lots of RAM, really wants an NVidia graphics card with 1GB of RAM to enable CUDA for even more processing power. A 7 year old laptop isn't the best choice for this...not trying to cut native formats anyway. This is why FCP likes ProRes...easier to manage. H.264, AVCHD...those are highly complex formats that take processing power to deal with..as are others. On your older machine....The new PPRo and cutting native might not the the best idea. If I were in your boots, I'd stick to FCP and converting the media to ProRes.

What format(s) can I work with instead of Apple Pro Res 422 in Final Cut 6.0.6 on a 2007 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.