Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf it can't find my printer

So here is the problem, with this config it can't allow me to print for anothere subnet. My CUPS is under 172.21.X.X that i install on my Ubuntu Server and the Mac is on 172.16.X.X, I don't know where to put The "BrowseAllow" or The "BrowseRelay". It can see the printer but everytime i start to print the message "The printer is not connected" appears. But when i start a Print Test on CUPS it works.

HELP ME PLEASE!!

LogLevel warn

MaxLogSize 1m

# Allow remote access

Port 631

Browsing On

BrowseAllow 172.16.0.0/16 172.16.0.255

BrowseLocalProtocols dnssd

DefaultAuthType Basic

WebInterface Yes

<Location />

# Allow remote administration...

Order allow,deny

Allow all

</Location>

<Location /admin>

# Allow remote administration...

Order allow,deny

Allow all

</Location>

<Location /admin/conf>

AuthType Default

Require user @SYSTEM

# Allow remote access to the configuration files...

Order allow,deny

Allow all

</Location>

<Policy default>

JobPrivateAccess default

JobPrivateValues default

SubscriptionPrivateAccess default

SubscriptionPrivateValues default

<Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI Validate-Job>

Order deny,allow

Allow all

</Limit>

<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job Cancel-My-Jobs Close-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>

Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM

Order deny,allow

</Limit>

<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>

AuthType Default

Require user @SYSTEM

Order deny,allow

</Limit>

<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After Cancel-Jobs CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>

AuthType Default

Require user @SYSTEM

Order deny,allow

</Limit>

<Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>

Order deny,allow

</Limit>

<Limit All>

Order deny,allow

</Limit>

</Policy>

<Policy authenticated>

JobPrivateAccess default

JobPrivateValues default

SubscriptionPrivateAccess default

SubscriptionPrivateValues default

<Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI Validate-Job>

AuthType Default

Order deny,allow

</Limit>

<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job Cancel-My-Jobs Close-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>

AuthType Default

Order deny,allow

</Limit>

<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>

AuthType Default

Require user @SYSTEM

Order deny,allow

</Limit>

<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After Cancel-Jobs CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>

AuthType Default

Require user @SYSTEM

Order deny,allow

</Limit>

<Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>

AuthType Default

Order deny,allow

</Limit>

<Limit All>

Order deny,allow

</Limit>

</Policy>

BrowseRelay 172.21.0.0 172.16.8.37

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 1:26 AM

5 replies

Mar 26, 2014 2:10 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc Davis, thanks for the reply.

So what can i do? But do you understand my problem? because i'm a noob with this, but i'm really willing to learn. so if you can help me. Even if i need to explain all the situation again.

Problem:

I have a PC with Ubuntu where i've install a VM with Ubuntu Server to install CUPS. And on this PC i've install all my printers, 2 colors and 3 BW Printers. I've bought a Mac. But it's on another IP my PC Ubuntu is on 172.21.x.x and my Mac is on a 172.16.x.x . When i put my Mac on the same IP adress than my PC Ubuntu(172.21.x.x) it works but i don't want to put it on the same ip. Because i want in the future to add all kind of Apple divices. And why not even make my own PrintServer.

Thanks Again.

Mar 26, 2014 7:04 AM in response to Kenni26

I don't know anything about your Linux server. If it shows up in the FInder when the Mac client is on the same subnet, then it must be advertising itself via mDNS (Bonjour.) Bonjour does not work across subnets, for reasons that have nothing to do with CUPS. If the server has a static address, you should still be able to add it as an IP print queue by entering the address manually.

Problem with the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf it can't find my printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.