Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with Airport Time Capsule 2TB Backup Problems

I've had my new Airport Time Capsule 2TB for about 6 months. Today I get this message:

Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “Matt's AirPort Time Capsule”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.

Click Start New Backup to create a new backup. This will remove your existing backup history. This could take several hours.

Click Back Up Later to be reminded tomorrow. Time Machine won’t perform backups during this time.

Over the past few months I'd notice that at times instead of a green light on the Time Capsule it would be orange. My internet would work fine. I also have an Airport Extreme and it was always green.

Anyways I would pull the power plug out of the TC, plug it back in and the green light would be on a short time after.

In light of this message today, is this an issue with a faulty or unreliable TC itself? It's annoying that I will lose 6 months worth of back ups, especially as I used a HDD last time as a Time Machine and lost 12 months of backups from a faulty HDD.

By going to an Apple product I thought my issues were resolved. It's not the end of the world, I back up my most important stuff to dual HDD's anyway, but its a pain when expensive stuff doesnt work as it should and I'm about to lose 6months of imac stuff i may need down the track.

Any experiences or suggestions. Using 27" iMac less than a year old, Mavericks, everything up to date.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 11:55 PM

1 reply

Mar 25, 2014 12:50 AM in response to Switch79

I presume yours is the tall model, AC wireless.

It has some issues with Mavericks in particular.. and particularly if you do backups over wireless it can corrupt itself..

You have no choice but to allow the backup to be wiped and continue with a new clean backup. Although it might be better for you to step in and do it yourself..ie open the airport utility and erase the TC and start over.

For the meantime I would definitely buy a second backup, eg CCC is $40.. very reasonable and works well.

But TM is ok with a local hard disk.. eg a USB 3 drive plugged in to the iMac . .it will be faster and much more reliable than the TC.

Issues with Airport Time Capsule 2TB Backup Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.