Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not opening on my MacBookPro

Good Morning

My iMessage seems to function well on my iPad and my iPhone but it is impossible to open the app on my MacBook Pro although it is marked with 2 messages received on the icone in Launchpad. Clicking on it doesn't do anything. But it is here in the notifications pannel and I can send a iMessage from there.

Maybe it is the normal behaviour on a Computer, I'd like to know.

Thanks for your information

Cathy

Mac Book, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 2:28 AM

11 replies

Mar 25, 2014 1:58 PM in response to CathyLapin

Hi,

If the Dock icon is not working will the app launch from the Applications folder or from Mission Control ?

If the app works properly opening it the other way Drag the current icon Off the Dock and let go (Puff of Smoke Animation) Then Drag back the item from the Applications Folder (this recreates a new link between the icon on the Dock and the app itself.

User uploaded file

8:58 pm Tuesday; March 25, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Mar 25, 2014 2:15 PM in response to CathyLapin

I have heard of a few cases where Mac's without recovery partitions have trouble with some iCloud functions (iMessage specifically called out by a few, find my mac definately doesn't work). This is an unusual occurance (not to have a recovery) but can happen with some fusion drives, raids, ...Has anyone modified your MacBook Pro? Can you post the output of this terminal command

diskutil list

Mar 26, 2014 2:09 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph

It doesn't open in any of those cases. When I call it from for example my Alfred app. it appears a second in the dock then vanishes away.

I have tried the safe mode opening but it didn't open there either.

I am still able to send messages in notifications or receive messages on iPad and iPhone so it is not so important but disturbing.

I recently (one month) recover all my system from Apple site and my recovery disk is still there.

Do you suggest I could recover the system using the recovery disk?

Cathy

Mar 26, 2014 2:12 AM in response to ssls6

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 749.3 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

mbpdecathygl2:~ catherinelegna$

Yes my recovery disk is still there. Same question as to Ralph. Should I try to recover the system by using the recovery HD?

Never done that yet.

Cathy

Mar 26, 2014 2:14 PM in response to CathyLapin

Hi,

So you have Alfred on there ?

I have not used this but the blurb look reassuring (But so does Adobe's about Flash)

I was trying to ask you if it launches in the most basic ways the Mac can be made to do this.

One way is from the Dock > Applications folder that looks like this

User uploaded file

Or direct from the Folder itself (this will exclude any issues with the DOCK)

User uploaded file

Then there is Launch Pad

User uploaded file

And it's access to a launch icon

User uploaded file

Basically all these regular methods should be tried so that you can exclude third party apps.

I would also check other items that you have not opened for a while to see that they open.

Some of the Alfred "features' such as the 1 Password thing look a little invasive.

On the Restore front I have never had to use the basic recovery for a first time and have no info on using the partition again.

User uploaded file

9:14 pm Wednesday; March 26, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Mar 26, 2014 3:47 PM in response to CathyLapin

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Mar 28, 2014 5:07 AM in response to Linc Davis

28/03/2014 13:03:03,817 WindowServer[90]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Dropbox" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

28/03/2014 13:03:04,024 WindowServer[90]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Dropbox" after 1.21 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

28/03/2014 13:03:10,929 Messages[3046]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

28/03/2014 13:03:10,955 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[170]: (com.apple.iChat.4608[3046]) Exited with code: 1

Hello Linc

Above is the console message after operating as you suggested . A part from the DropBox messages I see the 2 last lines are about iMessages not able to load.

But I am unable to understand how to fix it.

If you have any key

Cathy

Mar 28, 2014 6:15 AM in response to CathyLapin

You ran a defective third-party "utility" such as "CleanMyMac" or "MacCleanse" that purports to "clean up" "junk" files. What it really does is to corrupt the operating system and many applications.

The first thing you need to do is remove that software according to the developer's instructions. Never install it, or anything like it, again. Then see below.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you use FileVault 2, then before running the Installer you must launch Disk Utility and select the icon of the FileVault boot volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another icon with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main screen.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.9 ("Mavericks"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Mar 28, 2014 8:24 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Linc

I don't have any of those apps ( Clean My Mac or Macleeanse) and never had. I have only one little app called Memory Clean and it only clears the memory so it doesn't seem to deal with the operative system. I cleaned sometimes system with Onyx . May it's this the problem?

Anyway I am going to erase those two from my system and reinstall Mavericks to see if it changes something.

Wil let you know

Cathy

iMessage not opening on my MacBookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.