Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud deleting and corrupting spreadsheets!

Today I routinely opened my Numbers application and edited an existing spreadsheet from library... having done this I tried tried to open another spreadsheet I have looked at several times over last few months only to be met with a message: "spreadsheet can't be opened". More probing around and I find that of my spreadsheet collection TWO have the same problem...

Nothing has changed since I was last able to view them except the last iOS update (and/or Numbers app update) a couple of weeks or so ago - SO finger pointing at the update as possible culprit (iOS 7.1). However, given that the iCloud service seems to be a separate entity of its own and is modified and tweaked by engineers whom we never get to speak with and about which we never hear any information I am not ruling out that a spanner has been dropped in that department - perhaps iCloud "engineers" have been modifying or updating the iCloud servers and are blissfully unaware of consequences.

Initial call to Apple Support and no obvious explanation forthcoming. I logged into iCloud.com from desktop and the two spreadsheets concerned still could not be opened from there either.

It gets worse...

Resetting my two devices that share documents (iPad and iPhone) made no difference to the two spreadsheets that I could no longer open. I decided to uninstall the Numbers app on the iPhone and reinstall - basic trouble-shooting procedure. At the point of uninstalling Numbers I got a "reassuring" reminder that I would not be deleting my spreadsheets in the process as they were "safely stored on iCloud".

Unfortunately, and much to my horror, when I reinstalled the Numbers app and allowed it to pull down my spreadsheets I was now MISSING 4 other spreadsheets (these were working fine when I last examined them). The two troublesome ones were still in the library and, no, I still could not open those.

This is outrageous. I feel I have no control over my precious data/documents - iCloud seems to have taken upon itself the right to randomly delete and mess with them.

If this is the level of unreliability that we are going to be expected to put up with I. Respect of Apple's cloud computing then SORRY - I am going to have to dump Apple altogether and go back, cap in hand, to Microsoft. We are just about to purchase an iMac (making it the 5th Apple device we have foolishly spent our hard-earned money on) - this purchase is now on HOLD.

iCloud in general has been the source of most of my pains with my devices - don't get me started on the subject of Calendar and the several unresolved support issues relating to that. If Apple do not get iCloud fixed and made much more robust than it is now then the house of cards will fall. Steve Jobs would be ashamed.

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 7:55 AM

1 reply

iCloud deleting and corrupting spreadsheets!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.