Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new mac pro recognises usb 2.0 as 1.0 - super slow data transfer!

updated my new mac pro 3.5 GHz 6-core intel xeon E5 to mac OS 10.9.2 today.

all periphals (standalone hubs, hubs in monitors, harddisks) are now recognised not as is (USB 2.0) but as USB 1.0 (ie transfer rate 12 Mbit/s), no matter whether they are plugged into a port of the mac pro directly or thru a hub. i do not get anything done anymore!

any advice how to get back to USB 2.0?

thank you!

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 8:25 AM

11 replies

Mar 25, 2014 8:47 AM in response to mdesignffm

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Mar 27, 2014 2:39 AM in response to Linc Davis

update:

apple support suggested to reinstall system over existing system. after, they suggested to do a clean system install on a new partition. in both cases the problem remained.

since USB worked on 10.9.1 it should not be a hardware issue. since my USB does not work even on a clean install of 10.9.2 (which seems to be fine with the rest of the world), it should not be a software issue of my system.

my guess is a fawlty firmware update which was included in the install and which addresses a USB problem (which i did not have - but now i have one)...

Jun 21, 2014 6:29 AM in response to mdesignffm

just to finish this up: it was two usb-hubs that obviously are not compatible any more. taking them out of the setup resolved the problem.

strange - these hubs did work perfectly for years with my old mac pro. all of a sudden they are not compatible any longer. did the usb 2.0 specs change? ;-)

anyway, fits in the picture with the new mac pro. everything not thunderbolt will get you in trouble... :-(

new mac pro recognises usb 2.0 as 1.0 - super slow data transfer!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.