Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad! Used DU to Erase instead of Restore iPod

I got a used 80GB iPod. I intended to Erase tracks on it. I used Disk Utility and did not notice the warning to Erase using iTunes restore: Using DU "may not be able to use all features."

And then I did Restore but iTunes states not able to complete write my Music files. It did write some (about 1000 out of 5000+) and does state in Macintosh Format with Software version 1.1.2 "up-to-date."

In doing a Re-Sync: "Do not disconnect; Finishing Sync" for over an hour now!

What to do?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 8GB SDRAM; 750GB HD

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 11:59 AM

15 replies

Mar 25, 2014 12:04 PM in response to pwwwayne

You need to wait untill the process is not completed. Or you can disconnect it manually just ignore the message.. And then connnect it again and first of all you need to take the backup of all your data like songs photos etc...

Open itunes then connect your device which will be show in iTunes and right click on your device and then click on backup.. after doing this your all backup store in iTunes.

Now you can simply restore your device... and make sure that you are using the Latest version of iTunes and your Device software must be updated.

It will definatly help you out..

Thanks..

Mar 25, 2014 12:25 PM in response to Maan123

Sorry, I don't follow you:

"You need to wait untill the process is not completed." OK, I'll ignore that.

"first of all you need to take the backup of all your data like songs photos etc..."

I don't know how/where the songs are "backup"?

The iPod does show in devices, but "right-click" = huh?

"after doing this your all backup store in iTunes." = sorry again, huh?

ITunes says I am using the latest software for this device: version 1.1.2

(My OSX is 10.9.2)

Sorry to be so dense!

Mar 25, 2014 5:04 PM in response to pwwwayne

I am doing DFU. Quite different from before, getting recovery file from Apple, then Restore. I am only syncing Music. At first it was going very rapidly but has now become slow for each track: 1644 out of 4720. (Step 2 of 2). So I am just letting it chug along while I go out tonight for a few hours. "Do Not Disconnect." There are NO Smart Playlists; just normal, ordinary playlists.

Mar 26, 2014 12:17 PM in response to pwwwayne

I am stuck.

I can get iPod to reboot (showing the Apple logo), but when I immediately move my left thumb to the Re-wind button, screen logo remains same (logo) and then changes (reboots) onto the Menu window. I cannot get beyond this step . . .

[It sometimes reverts to Menu window so FAST, I am unable to catch the Apple logo window at all; but if I do, it stays on logo for a few seconds and then instantly shows normal Menu window.]

Yesterday, I was able to get to an Info window of some kind of data but never to the specified IO>HardDrive>HDSMARTData for stats. (Which is why I went on to the DFU Restore process).

So I am hung up at this first, very early task for the time being!

i.e., checking iPod for hard-drive errors.

Whoops! I got to iPod Diagnostics 1.0.1fc033

Now I am stuck at Wheel Test:

Spin Wheel CurrentVal = 40 (but changes)

HOLD_SWITCH: 3 <-- NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS & can't get on to anything else! . . . . reverted to logo and then normal menu.

Mar 26, 2014 12:31 PM in response to pwwwayne

Started over:

SDRAM QuickScan

SDRAM Quick Verify

SDRAM Pass!

Key Test

Press Keyboard buttons

Action Key button = 0x0

Menu Key button = 0x00

Pause/Playkey = same

Previous Key & Next Key = both same

KEY PASS button = 0x20

TouchWheelID:6 sets of numbers + "a"

Wheel Test again and the enigmatic HOLD_SWITCH: 3

Spun wheel --> Hold Switch Detect =1

Wait for Hold Key On Menu to continue --> ????????? nada, nothing changes . . . ??????? . . . . waiting, pressing buttons ..... unchanged . . . .

Signing off. See you later . . . .

Mar 26, 2014 1:19 PM in response to pwwwayne

OK finally got into DDR Full Test:

"plug in FW to start

No power supply.

I have a FireWire cable but I don't see how to attach it to iPod . . . a USB adapter to a FW cable?

I found an old/classic 10GB iPod that has a FW to FW cable but still see no way to use this cable with this 80GB iPod I am trying to load.

OK, I plugged the iPod cable via USB into a AC current: Now in AutoTesr 1.0.1fc033 with choices looking very familiar:SRV V.0075 Dec 18 2007:

SDRAMQuickTest

KeyTest

WheelTest

HeadphoneDetect

Accessory Test

Backlight

Color

I just know I will get stuck in that WheelTest again!

I have never run into IO>HardDrive>HDSMARTData.

I saw IO on previous window but that too into the list above which will stop at WheelTest!

Hoping some genius will see this saga and help me find a way out/through it! TIA

Bad! Used DU to Erase instead of Restore iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.