Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently read on a deal site forum page that you can only use Apple lightning cables to charge iPads running iOS 7 or higher. Is that the case or will any 8-pin to USB cable work? Thx in advance for any helpful replies.

Recently read on a deal site forum page that you can only use Apple lightning cables to charge iPad Air or iPad Mini Retina running iOS 7 or higher. Is that the case or will any 8-pin to USB cable work? Thx in advance for any helpful replies.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1, iPad Mini Retina

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 12:17 PM

5 replies

Mar 25, 2014 12:28 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

And the cable/connector need to be certified for use. I have such a third party charger and cable for my mini as a second/travel set. So far through the iOS 7.1 update it continues to work fine. (I bough it for it's longer cable length mainly; the cable also seems heavier-duty. Most non-Apple cables and chargers that are not certtified do not work at all or poorly.

Mar 25, 2014 12:44 PM in response to smusherface

Due to a lot of bad press that Apple was getting due to burnt chargers, shocked users (the electrical kind...), etc., due to the lousy third party El Cheapo brand generics, as of iOS 7 the cable must be Apple-certified before the iGadget deigns to use it for charging purposes. Unfortunately (for Apple) the old traditional USB to 30-pin cable is just that, a straight piece of wire, and can't be validated by the iGadget. But lo & behold, the new gear uses the new Lightning cable, which contains an embedded chip that CAN be validated and lousy imitations disabled from use.

Mar 25, 2014 1:19 PM in response to smusherface

Basically if you stick with what I'll call reputable accessory manufacturers, Targus, Belkin, Kensington you should do just fine. Where issues seem to crop up are cheap, no name knockoffs that you get really cheap off amazon.

These known companies, well they play nice with others and follow the procedures to get permission from Apple to make accessories. (some are even sold on Apple's site). THe really cheap knock offs don't get permission.

Mar 25, 2014 3:00 PM in response to Courcoul

Thanks for filling in the blanks & explaining how the version of iOS I have on my iPad Air or Mini Retina could affect the compatibility of a charging cable. Now I know & won't waste time (or money) on non-certified cables. My modus operandi is "trust but verify" because, as cynical as it sounds, you can't believe everything you read online. (LOL) Thanks to everyone who responded so promptly to my inquiry.

Recently read on a deal site forum page that you can only use Apple lightning cables to charge iPads running iOS 7 or higher. Is that the case or will any 8-pin to USB cable work? Thx in advance for any helpful replies.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.